Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Making a rattle in engine compartment at 2100 RPMs and

Making a rattle in...

Making a rattle in engine compartment at 2100 RPMs and below. Just started during the recent cold spell that came thru. back in 50s and still doing it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

10 days somewhere on the passengers side of motor where pullys and belts are

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 Honda?

'08

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

If its simple yes if not I don't have time this is my work truck

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

138,000 never had any problems before. just tires and oil changes and brakes. it goes away after 2100 or so.

1/23/2018
Edward
Edward, Auto Service Technician

Hello, and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

try this, when it's idling and you hear the noise, pull off the oil cap, tell me if the noise is louder or if it doesn't get any louder, if it doesn't sound like it's coming from within the engine, then get some brake cleaner, or belt dressing, even armour all or whatever you have in a spray can, and spray it directly onto the serpentine drive belt while its running, see if that makes any difference at all in the noise or if it even goes away for a couple of seconds.

hold on at hotel gotta go down and start it.

Alright, take your time. Thank you.

Did not get louder when oil can removed.
cap

Alright, that's good, means likely it's external of the engine, It's probably the idler pulley, or the belt tensioner. The thing to do now, would be to temporarily take the serpentine drive belt completely off of all of the pulleys, then crank the engine and let it idle for just a minute and make sure the noise is gone with no accessories spinning.

If you don't hear the noise with the drive belt completely off, then you start turning the accessories by hand till you feel the one making the noise, turn the alternator and idler pulley and belt tensioner, and you'll feel it by hand turning it if it's going bad. It's probably the belt tensioner though loosing it's tension. I've had to put a couple of these on before for making a rattling type noise.

Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

to take it to shop cause this is not a whine it's exactly what you said. hat should this cost. I have mechanics back home I trust but I'm on road 350+ days a year. I don't need to go in blind

I understand, Idler pulley probably 60$, new drive belt probably 50$ and labor no more than 1 hour, call it 80$. should get out for couple hundred or less I would hope. Now if your in busy middle of the city up north maybe more.

Thanks. Big help. Have a good one fast Eddie

Absolutely, Thank you. if your all set please don't forget to rate the question via one of the star icons at the top of the page. If you need to ask us anything else just let us know. Best of luck with it.

Edward
Edward, Auto Service Technician