Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Im having a hard time starting my 2005 honda odyssesy ex-l…

Im having a hard time...
Im having a hard time starting my 2005 honda odyssesy ex-l 170k, the other night I had to jump start my vehicle because it was too hard to start , after driving on the streets for about 10 mins I heard a wierd noise coming from the passenger side of the engine it almost sounded like gulping water type of noise and a minute after that I lost complete power on the van, I checked under the hood and there was no fluid leaks the only thing I noticed was that the serpentine belt was of by one groove and I replaced it with a new one. Now after getting battery inspected and fully charged I tried starting van with no luck it sounds like a weak crank I tried using a new battery and still the same results what could be wrong?
1/22/2018
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech

Remove the belt again and see if one of the pullies is locked up or turns roughly.

The only one thats not spinning freely is the crank pulley other than that everything spins fine

Do any of them fell rough when you spin them?

Not really they all spin fine

Will the van start with the belt off?

Im going to check give me a couple mins please.

Take your time, we are not on a clock here.

Its doing the same thing after removing belt I double checked all the pulleys and its still the same

Do you have a digital volt meter?

No sorry I dont if I get one what would I be looking for, also I took video of how the engine sounds and posted it on youtube here is the link
https://youtu.be/rlF6lZhL1Os

Thank you for the video. I hate to say it but it sounds like the timing belt may have broken. Can you run a compression test to see if that is what is going on?

Im going to do that Later today, I replaced the timing belt 40k miles ago whats the average life of a belt?

As long as the belt does not get damaged or contaminated with oil, it should last over 60k miles.

kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech
Timing belt is still good took the cap off I still need to check compression do you think it might be fuel related?

NO. Did you check to make sure the timing marks all lined up?