Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

2017 HONDA ACCORD NO COMMUNICATION WITH THE OBD2, CLUSTER…

2017 HONDA ACCORD NO COMMUNICATION...
2017 HONDA ACCORD NO COMMUNICATION WITH THE OBD2 , CLUSTER DISPLAYING "CHARGING SYSTEM" CAR WILL NOT START
1/21/2018
Edward
Edward, Auto Service Technician

Hello, and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

What happened exactly? did the vehicle cut off while driving? or fail to start after sitting for a while? thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, Let’s see what advise you can give , thanks

Hello, did the vehicle cut off while driving? or did it fail to start after it sat a while? thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had the Honda tool connecting to the car , to clear a airbag error , Was not communicating and giving me all these glitches if you look it up the picture that I sent you with my question car was running perfect before I try to connect to it

Alright, I unfortunately did not get a picture on my end. Can you try to resend it?

I see it. Will it crank and all? or will it not even crank?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will not crank or turn , Gives me the message on the cluster “ charge system “ and will not communicate with any ond2 scanner

I 'm gonna have to knock off here for the evening, I'm sorry, let me opt out and let another expert assist. Thank you!

Cary York
Phone call session started
camerontech
camerontech, Auto Service Technician

hi there,

im cam, a licenced diagnostic tech

since all was fine before you plugged your scanner into it, theres a good chance you might have blown a fuse

there should be 12v at pin 16

check every fuse in your vehicle, both underhood and interior fuse boxes.
if they are all ok, i would recommend a hard reset.
this is one by dosconnection both batery terminals and holding them together for 30 mins (you can just use tape)

this will reset every module in your vehicle

let me know how you make out!

cam

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Cam, I Check all the fuses they all good. I check obd2, Im getting ground on a white wire and yellow wire , which I shouldn't. I I have a 16 honda accord model here and I measure from a good car which doesn't have ground on these wires.
I will try the reset it, by holding the terminals together see whats happening and let you know
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did the reset holding the battery terminals together, no difference did not fix the communication

ok, im going to check some info on a few things

brb

do you have 12v at the 10amp fuse#21 in the underhood fuse box at the left rear engine compartment?

this fuse should be blown if you have ground on this white wire circuit....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Fuse is good and I have 12 v on it

ok.
im going to send a wiring diagram.
this wire should be 12v. this is also a 12v to multiple modules.
so the problem is between that fuse and the dlc.

as you will see in the diagram it goes from the fuse to the underdash fuse relay box

you will have to check the wires on that box and see if its a connection issue or wiring problem.
once 12v is restored to that circuit you should be able to communicate through the dlc and and have module power back

there is also a center junction box that could have lost connection too

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have two white wires on this obd2 connector . I'm making sure we understand each other, is the wire between black and blue no "6" pin ? and also the yellow wire pin "15" they have ground on them and they shouldn't have.

white wire on pin 16 is 12v.
the white wire on pin 6 is the negative side of the hs can network. the red wire on pin14 is the positive side of the can network

these two should be (red and white wires) should be a mirror image of 2.5volt pulse. these can only be detected with a scope. resistance with multimeter between 6 and 14 should be 60 ohms

the yellow is low speed network comunication from theft and airbag

if there is solid ground on white wire pin 6 then this circuit is short to ground.
this will be wiring or module shorted to ground.
when you have a high speed Can network shutdown you have to find what is on that network and start disconnecting modules untill the network comes back online.
since this is after you cleared codes in the airbag i would recommend disconnecting the airbag module and see if the system comes abcka nd engine starts

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have solid ground on the white wire 6 pin and I should have 1.8 positive like the other car.
I attempted to clear airbag , but I did not clear it, because scanner won't not talk to the car and give me all the errors.
Give me a suggestions of the modules to unplug from the network , and vague idea of the location of them ?

if the airbag module is not the problem, this will be very time consuming as every module that is on that hs can network must be unplugged (except pcm/ecm) untill the system comes back online.
this is the only way to find if its a module or wiring thats ground. im suspecting and hoping its the airbag module though

i am incuding the data network wiring diagram for you as an attachment

you will have to follow the circuit (from pin 6 and 14) to each module thats attached to taht circuit and disconnect one by one

a896fa58-7613-4e10-ac6f-...pnga896fa5...pngcca249cc-317a-4ddf-8a83-...pngcca249c...pngbe4667cd-5cfa-43d0-8bd5-...pngbe4667c...png08e4b45d-5d85-43ec-9d83-...png08e4b45...png
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I definitely appreciate your help and patience however I was not able to fix the car
I have to send it to the dealer
I will rate your service thank you

no problem, thank you for the rating

if you find what it was please let me know

cam

camerontech
camerontech, Auto Service Technician
camerontech
camerontech
camerontech, Auto Service Technician