Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Is this real? 2012 Odyssey. Recently had my right front half…

Is this real ? ...

Is this real ?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

2012 Odyssey.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Odyssey yourself? What have you tried so far?

Recently had my right front half shaft replaced because it was sligning CV grease.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Now I have popping on BOTH the Right Front and Left Front suspensions ONLY when turning corners.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Only been going on since my half shaft was replaced. I may have had a pop ever now and then prior to shaft replacment.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/20/2018
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy

does it do it when sitting still?

no. Only when turning corners at slow speed. And only when I have load from the transmission into the wheels. Nothing happens when coasting around corners.
I recently had my right front halfshaft replaced as it was slinging grease. I doubt that a defective half shaft was installed and the left front went bad at the same time.
The popping is occuring at about the same right on the Right and Left Sides. It doesn't appear to be a 1 side issue.
same rate on left and sides.
Hello ?
Are you there ?
Bueller ?

yes im here working with several customers can you feel it in the strut mount

there is NO tactile feedback in the steering wheel or suspension. Just an audible popping sound. Typically when turning a corner I will get 3-7 pops. Over the last week it has gotten progressively worse. Louder, More Pops, and Happens ALL the time.
Again it happens on both sides.

sounds more like strut bearings if its sitting still can you make it pop if you turn the wheel left to right?

Nope. I can have car in park, engine running, and turn steeing wheel from bump stop to bump stop without any noise (pops, whine, etc).

you sure its not coming from the new cv shaft?

Not certain it's not the new CV shaft. What doesn't make sense is that the popping is coming from both sides. I can see 1 shaft being bad. But to have 2 bad shafts at the same time....with 1 being brand new is pretty hard to believe.

only thing that would make sence is 2 axles popping or strut bearings binding... everuthing in the frt end is tight? stab links ball joints control arm bushings etc?

If it was the cv shafts i would think i would hear the clicking going around corners without any load on the driveline. Popping only really happens under load. The its a popping/knocking that isn't heavily correlated to wheel speed. I would think a CV joint would click/pop all the time going around corners and NOT just when under load.
I just physically inspected all rubber bushings on lower A arms. They all look great. The bushings on the sway bar linkages look decent too. No tears, no separations, nothing that looks like an issue.
Nothing loose.

load equals more strain on the drive line seems like the common denominator is the new axle....sometimes you need to think simple...noise does telescope and can be tricky

ihave 2 step out ill opt out and open this up for other experts

Do I have to retype everything ?
Hello.
hello ?
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

Different expert here.

If you push down on the front end above each tire, do you hear the popping noise

Can't really push down on front end. Struts are still in good shape and really stiff. I don't have any nose diving when stopping. When I push on front end I get about 1/2 to 1" of travel. No feedback to speak of.
No audible noise.

HI,

Ok, that eliminates the struts and strut mounts and bearings.

Ok, I suspect it may be the lower balljoints. While it does not happen often, I have with Hondas have put them in the air for a job and the lower balljoints due to wear, drop down and start popping on turns.

Do you have either a 6ft long piece of steel or 6ft 2x4 lumber, and a helper?

What do I need to do ?

Ok, you will want to jack the front end up where front tires are 2" off the ground. While you watch the lower balljoint, have your helper slip the prybar/lumber between the ground and the tire and lift up on it repeatedly. If you see any movement in the balljoint where it goes thru the control arm and the steering knuckle, it is bad. Any movement more than 1/16" is considered excess wear, so if you can see it move, it had more than that.

is this the single ball joint on the bottom on the knuckle ? I just looked at both right and left and they look okay. I did not manipulate them to evalute looseness.

YEs the balljoint at the bottom of the knuckle. you cannot visually see if they are bad with it sitting on the ground unless it is completely broken in half

Should the 2x4 be levered under the tire 90 degress to vehicle ? Or should 2x4 be placed under tire from front of car ? BTW I did inspect the ball joints with tires off and went 360 degress to look for wear or separation. I can certainly try the 2x4 trick though.
If these ball joints are tight is the only remaining suspect the CV joints ?

I place it from in front of the vehicle.

This is the only approved test for balljoints

if the balljoints are good, then the only remaining cause would be the cv axles

If I dont respond immediately, bear with me. I have satellite internet and we are in the midst of whiteout condition snowstorm, so my internet comes and goes

This will be a tricky test for the lower ball joint. Prying up on the 2x4 should move up the entire a-arm. So what you are saying is if there is any looseness in the lower ball joint I will see motion in the lower ball joint first PRIOR to the A-Arm moving up ?
beep beep.

Yes, if there is wear, you will see the balljoint move in the control arm and the spindle but not control arm movement until the balljoint stops moving

Allright. I will give this a try.
Thank you.

you are welcome

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager