Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I've got a 2016 Odyssey Touring. When I'm anywhere from

Hi, I've got a...

Hi, I've got a 2016 Odyssey Touring. When I'm anywhere from 40-60 mph, and then start to coast, when I hit the accelerator again lightly (before it downshifts), i hear a high pitched, metallic sound like the cap of a piston or something. I had a Honda mechanic ride with me, but of course wasn't able to recreate the noise. He explained something about a special gearshift feature on new Hondas, and that this was not a safety issue whatsoever. I'm just a little paranoid that the problem will become something else if left alone.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes, everything else is normal.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Odyssey yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nope, haven't tried anything.

1/19/2018
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Is the check engine light on?

Are there any codes in the computer?

Does the engine run good when this noise occurs?

no check engine light, no codes that I know of. The engine seems to lose a little power. Again, the mechanic described it as some kind of new feature where Honda engines don't use all the cylinders all the time, and only kick in all of them when extra power is needed. He thinks this is happening before one of the cylinders activates and that it is nothing to worry about. But the intermittent noise persists and is bothersome.

If the noise is coming from this feature, then it is nothing to worry about. Sometimes this noise might be a loose heat shield or under body splash guard that was moved at one time and now making noise when traveling down the road at those speeds. While this is not a safety issue or a reliability issue, I would still recommend to get the vehicle inspected while it is up in the air on a vehicle lift or hoist.

OK, thank you for the confirmation. I'll have them check that the next time I take it in for service.

Your welcome! I am glad I can help! My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician