Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

A friend brought over his 06 Honda Odyssey with the 3.5 V6,

auto tranny. We read the...
A friend brought over his 06 Honda Odyssey with the 3.5 V6, auto tranny. We read the codes, P2647. We checked the oil, level is good. When we start the car, it runs fine. We then accelerate and start driving. When sitting at a stop light, the engine will start to run rough and have no power. At that same time, the VSA light comes on. If you key off and then back on, it will run fine until the first stop light when it starts to run rough again.
1/17/2018
Roy
Roy, Import/Domestic Specialist

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

possible causes for the code below

P2647

ItemDescription

Symptom/DTCP2647

Descriptor

Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch Circuit High Voltage

Vtec System Struck On

Probable Causes

• Engine Oil Level
  • Engine Oil Pressure (EOP) Sensor
  • Poor Connections or Loose Terminals At Engine Oil Pressure (EOP) Sensor
  • Poor Connections or Loose Terminals At Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
  • Poor Connections or Loose Terminals At Rocker Arm Oil Control Solenoid (VTEC Solenoid Valve)
  • Poor Connections or Loose Terminals At Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch (VTEC Oil Pressure Switch) and Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
  • Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
  • Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Update Needed
  • Rocker Arm Oil Control Solenoid (VTEC Solenoid Valve)
  • Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch (VTEC Oil Pressure Switch)
  • Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch (VTEC Oil Pressure Switch) GND Line Open
  • Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch (VTEC Oil Pressure Switch) Open
  • Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch (VTEC Oil Pressure Switch) SIG Line Open
  • Wire Between Engine Mount Control Unit, Active Noise Control (ANC) Unit, Rocker Arm Oil Control Solenoid (VTEC Solenoid Valve) and Powertrain Control Module (PCM) C24 Shorted
  • Wire Between Powertrain Control Module (PCM) B23 and Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch (VTEC Oil Pressure Switch) Open
  • Wire Between Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch and G101 Open
Engine oil pressure light isn't on.....would this mean it works? What is typically the item that needs to get fixed and where are those parts?
Are there 2 vtec valves...one on front head, one on rear?

each car has different resolutions. you need to have a scan tool and run through the tests to confimr.it usually has to do with the control solenoid.

what we do with this code to start is this. we get a bottle of sea foam and put it in the oil.let the engine idles for 1hour. then change the oil and filter. in a lot of cases, there is sludge in the oil system that is not allowing the oil control solenoids to pass the correct amount of oil

I would start there as this may resolve the issue without throwing parts at it as a guess.

Roy

how many vtec valves and oil pressure sensors are there? Where are they located?

info on the code and location. do you have a scan tool to do the testing???

DTC P2647: Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch (VTEC Oil Pressure Switch) Circuit High Voltage

1. Check the engine oil level.

Is the level OK?

YES - Go to step 2.

NO - Adjust the engine oil to the proper level, then go to step 17.

2. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
3. Clear the DTC with the HDS.
4. Do the VTEC TEST in the INSPECTION MENU with the HDS.

Is the result OK?

YES - Intermittent failure, system is OK at this time. Check for poor connections or loose terminals at the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch) and the PCM.

NO - Go to step 5.

5. Check the result of step 4.
- Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch (VTEC Oil Pressure Switch) Failure
- Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch (VTEC Oil Pressure Switch) Open
- Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch (VTEC Oil Pressure Switch) SIG Line Open
- Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch (VTEC Oil Pressure Switch) GND Line Open

Did the test result indicate one of the above?

YES - Go to step 6.

NO - Check for poor connections or loose terminals at the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch). If it is OK, replace the rocker arm oil control solenoid (VTEC solenoid valve), then go to step 15.

6. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
7. Disconnect the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch) 2P connector.

Zoom/Print

8. At the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch), check for continuity between rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch) 2P connector terminals No. 1 and No. 2.

Is there continuity?

YES - Go to step 9.

NO - Replace the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch), then go to step 15.

9. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

Zoom/Print

10. Measure voltage between rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch) 2P connector terminal No. 1 and body ground.

Is there battery voltage?

YES - Repair open in the wire between the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch) and G101, then go to step 15.

NO - Go to step 11.

11. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
12. Jump the SCS line with the HDS.
13. Disconnect PCM connector B (44P).

Zoom/Print

14. Check for continuity between PCM connector terminal B23 and rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch) 2P connector terminal No.1.

Is there continuity?

YES - Go to step 21.

NO - Repair open in the wire between the PCM (B23) and the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch), then go to step 15.

15. Reconnect all connectors.
16. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
17. Reset the PCM with the HDS.
18. Do the PCM idle learn procedure.
19. Check for Temporary DTCs or DTCs with the HDS.

Are any Temporary DTCs or DTCs indicated?

YES - If DTC P2647 is indicated, check for poor connections or loose terminals at the rocker arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch) and the PCM, then go to step 1. If any other Temporary DTCs or DTCs are indicated, go to the indicated DTC's troubleshooting.

NO - Go to step 20.

20. Monitor the OBD STATUS for DTC P2647 in the DTCs MENU with the HDS.

Does the screen indicate PASSED?

YES - Troubleshooting is complete.

NO - If the screen indicates FAILED, go to step 1 and recheck. If the screen indicates NOT COMPLETED, go to step 18, and recheck.

21. Update the PCM if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good PCM.
22. Check for Temporary DTCs or DTCs with the HDS.

NO - If the PCM was updated, troubleshooting is complete. If the PCM was substituted, replace the original PCM.

more info

DTC P2647: VTEC System Stuck ON

Special Tools Required
- Pressure gauge adapter 07NAJ-P07010A
- A/T low pressure gauge w/panel 07406-0070300
- A/T pressure hose 07406-0020201
- A/T pressure hose, 2,210 mm 07MAJ-PY4011A
- A/T pressure adapter 07MAJ-PY40120
- Oil pressure hose 07ZAJ-S5A0200

1. Check the engine oil level.

Is the engine oil level OK?

YES - Go to step 2.

NO - Adjust the engine oil to the proper level, then go to step 12.

2. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
3. Clear the DTC with the HDS.

Is the result OK?

YES - Intermittent failure, system is OK at this time. Check for poor connections or loose terminals at the EOP sensor, the rocker arm oil control solenoid (VTEC solenoid valve), and the PCM.

NO - Go to step 5.

5. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

Zoom/Print

6. Remove the EOP sensor (A), install the special tools as shown, then install the EOP sensor in the oil pressure gauge adapter (B).

NOTE: Install the sensor in the reverse order of removal with new O-ring.

7. Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (in Park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, then let it idle 2 minutes.
8. Do the VTEC TEST in the INSPECTION MENU with the HDS.
9. Check the oil pressure.

Does the oil pressure increase to 392 kPa (4.0 kgf/sq.cm, 56.9 psi)?

YES - Replace the EOP sensor, then go to step 10.

NO - Replace the rocker arm oil control solenoid (VTEC solenoid valve), then go to step 10.

10. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
11. Reconnect all connectors.
12. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
13. Reset the PCM with the HDS.
14. Do the PCM idle learn procedure.
15. Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (in Park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, then let it idle 2 minutes.
16. Check for Temporary DTCs or DTCs with the HDS.

YES - If DTC P2647 is indicated, check for poor connections or loose terminals at the rocker arm oil control solenoid (VTEC solenoid valve), the EOP sensor, and the PCM, then go to step 1. If any other Temporary DTCs or DTCs are indicated, go to the indicated DTC's troubleshooting.

NO - Go to step 17.

17. Monitor the OBD STATUS for DTC P2647 in the DTCs MENU with the HDS.

Does the screen indicate PASSED?

YES - Troubleshooting is complete.

NO - If the screen indicates FAILED, check for poor connections or loose terminals at the EOP sensor and the PCM, then go to step 1 and recheck. If the screen indicates NOT COMPLETED, go to step 15 and recheck.

Thanks for this info. Based on the picture, it looks like there is only one vtec valve and oil pressure sensor. Do you know if this is a 2 wire or 3 wire sensor...seems like it must be just a 2 pin from reading the above. Do you have a part number for theswitch? I do have a scan tool and I'll try this procedure tonight after work. Thanks,

I believe it is a 2 wire. I dont have the part number. you can get that from a parts store.

Roy

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

any update

You stated the first thing you usually do is the seafoam in the engine oil. May I ask how many times have you done this and what % of the time is the issue resolved? Are there any negative issues that can arrise......ie loosening up other junk and causing the oil pump pickup tube to plug? Oil filter plug? Etc. Would an alternative be to remove the VTAC valve and clean individually. Do you have access to the wiring diagrams? I'd like to have the diagrams for any wire to the VTAC valve, vtac oil pressure sensor, engine oil pressure senser, pcm, etc

about 60% of the time it worked depending on the severity of the oil system being clogged with debris.

if the oil pick up was an issue, it would have an oil pressure issue.

there is no cleaning of the valves, replacement only. there areas that are clogged you cannot get to.

let me check on the diagram.

Roy

My vtec oil pressure switch is a 3 pin, 3 wire. The diagram only shows 2. I think the VAN submodel is EXL - or something like that. Would it have a different sensor? Also, where is the PCM located on these? I'm not sure where your electrical diagrams come from...I've seen ones in the past from Alldata...if you are using Alldata I think they have a "powertrain management" schematic that will be many pages and contain the entire engine schematic...including connecting points....if you have that I would appreciate getting it. Thanks.

I have alldata and thats where it came from.

let me look again. there is no sub model listed as the engines and controls are the same.

I've worked on the van a bit...and so far have not found the issue. We know it is not the pressure sensor....we replaced it and still have the issue. One thing I noticed on my scan tool is the regular engine oil pressure sensor was reading 10 psi at idle....I don't know if that is the correct pressure, but it seemed low to me. What is normal pressure at idle, hot engine?

minimum of 18-20 lbs.

Roy

do you know if the computer uses that pressure along with the pressure on the vtec valve.....maybe that reading is low causing a fault. The engine sounds fine...no unusual noises. We'll probably install a gage and measure in parallel with the sensor.

the pcm does not control oil pressure. it controls the vtec solenoid to adjust cam timing. when the timing is not correct, the code sets

Roy

My question was does the vtec system look at the other oil pressure sensor - the one usually by the oil filter....maybe compare that pressure to the vtec sensor.....

no, it does not compare the 2 readings. it only monitors the sensor at the solenoid

Roy

Roy
Roy, Import/Domestic Specialist
Roy
Roy
Roy, Import/Domestic Specialist