Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have a 2006 Honda Odyssey starting out on a trip

I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 Honda Odyssey starting out on a trip everything is fine approx 50 to 75 miles it start to send out large puffs of dark bluish smoke intermittently it seems related to acceleration and there may be a very slight stumble at the same time, warming the car up with long idle time dose not seem to shorten the distance until first occurrence.Valve job was done to no effect.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

At the battery post they are pristine ,forgot to mention there were no codes thrown!

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Odyssey yourself? What have you tried so far?

No not much of a mechanic valve stem seals were replaced then a valve job was done by a mechanic who seems totally baffled, also took it to Honda and they could not pull any codes.

1/17/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

When they did the valve job did they inspect the piston rings and cylinder walls?

Hi Shawn
I was out of town yesterday ,I have not been able to talk to the mechanic but I would assume that no he did not check anything.when he did the valve stem seals he did not do a leak down check ,so then he did the leak down check when the valve stem seal fix didn't work and we did the valve job ,sort of got charged twice for some of the work.As far as the cylinder or rings being bad I don't understand how that could be an intermittent problem.It is hard to make it do the smoke puff when you want to it just does it every 5,10.15 miles and almost never around town at low speeds. Do the rings move around the pistons and hit a worn spot on the cylinder then oil comes through and combusts or does oil leak past the rings and builds up until it burns .I would think the plugs would be fouled.No chance it could be smog related or a fuel related issue like a sensor or a computer.Also since the the codes were erased how many miles do I need to drive before the codes start to come back. Thanks Gary

the rings can and will move around, it sounds like you may have some cylinder wall scratches or a bad oil ring or 2, with that little bit of oil they wouldnt be fouled but you could see a difference in color on the plug itself, the color of the smoke would indicate a oil issue, so that would rue out any computer problems, I would say its mechanic at this point.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your automotive question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too! Also if you would like further assistance in the future you can favorite me as well.
Assuring you the best services!
Kind Regards!
Shawn ASE Technician

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Hi I talked to a local engine rebuilder today does not seem worth it to put 5 grand or more into this vehicle. He did suggest two things, one was to use an oil and gas additive to try and clean up the oil rings and he said the oil return from the head to the engine and down to the oil pan could be partially gunked up is this worth trying and what product might you think would work best. Thanks Gary

ok so those products work ok, here is something better and it takes some time, first I would use diesel and kerosene mixture or gas and diesel mix 50/50 and fill it to top and let it sit for a few days, drain it and then run some basic oil in it to clean run that for a few hours do the final oil change and see how she does, I had a engine that was caked to the brim and tried this as an experiment, the pickup tube was so clogged it would move any oil the engine was trash almost so I didnt have anything to loose and tried what I said above and its still running today actually, not a bad deal for about 70-80$ in oil changes and fuel