Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

First the transmission stuck in park. this has happened

Hi...first the transmission stuck...

Hi...first the transmission stuck in park. this has happened before and I stuck the key in the small slot and released the transmission. now the car won't start. 2005 hybrid...it is about 28 F ....any ideas? thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Key is fine...let me go out and try turning the steering wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 Honda?

Civic hybrid

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just tried moving the steering wheel...moves fine. transmission was locked so I put the key in the slot and released it. then when i tried to start, got flashing lights and chatter!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything...except...and this may be completely unrelated....last night noticed that the inside lights were on...haven't used the car in a couple of days....went in and turned them off ....strange...they had not been on long as they were still very bright. have had this stuck problem before, but it always eventually releases and the car starts...

1/16/2018
Carguy1
Carguy1, certified tech

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

I would start with a jump start on the regular 12 volt battery. Chattering usually means low voltage plus if it's too low you won't be able to get the car out of park. The brake lights have to work or at least the brake light switch has to send power to the shift lock solenoid. If the battery is low, then it won't do that.

So, let the donor car stay on it for 15 minutes, then attempt to start the car.

Try this and let me know.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me.
Thank you so much!

Thanks. It will be awhile before I can get a jump. Maybe tomorrow. Will try again later today when it warms up.

You are very welcome, please let me know how it goes.

Thank you.

Carguy1
Carguy1, certified tech
Carguy1
Carguy1
Carguy1, certified tech