Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have a 1985 Honda 600xl I put a weico piston and ring on…

Customer Question
I have a 1985...
I have a 1985 Honda 600xl I put a weico piston and ring on it put a new head gasket torqued everything cabs were done bike gone threw completely them the head gasket gave out idk if it was pre igniting bt when it went out it sounded like pinging noise I had 89 octane the compression ratio is 11:1 so Any idea y it would fail or anyway u could direct me what I might need to check
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Honda
1/10/2018
Mechanic for Honda: Pete, Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Pete, Mechanic

The stock comp ratio on those engines is 8.5:1. If you want to raise the comp higer than 10:1 you will have to modify the head to take a racing o-ring type head gasket. Then you will have to rejet the carb and then get the highest octane fuel you can. The gasket let loose due to pinging. I don"t know off hand if the bottom end can take the extra pressure you are going to subject it to, without rod and crank modification. Those big singles had a good bit of torque,stock,but if you are looking for more power, I would look for a different camshaft and carb mods. I used to do a lot of bike engine mods in the past and it is always trial and error. The guys who figure the proper combinations of cams, carbs and comp ratios are hard to find nowadays because all the modern bikes and cars are computer controled, so all you need now is a different software setup to get more power. We used to spend all our money and time to get a few more horse power and now all you need is a $50 dollar chip.

Ye that’s very true so do u know about the wiesco pistons the stock ones ain’t avaible threw Honda bt one question there are many bolts on the the engine we had to heli coil them do u think they will hold
I mean the ones that hold head down

The helicoils will hold the stock set up,but if you are going to stick with the 11:1 set up you are going to have a lot of mods to do. Did you try to get a stock piston from them? Or is it no longer available from weisco?

I have used weisco in the past. They usually have everything that you want, but it depends on the popularity of the engine you want to build.

No longer avaible stock piston from Honda wiesco is the only one carry them

Does weisco have the stock comp ratio pistons or just the high preformance ones?

No stock ones at all

I had the same problem years ago with an old BSA. I ended up getting a high comp piston and getting the top of the piston milled down to lower the comp ratio, because the bottom end could not take the higher ratio. Does weisco have a 9.5:1 piston? You can get away with that, but as I said, if you go 10:1 or over it will turn into a project.

I have to go for 45 mins.

Ok thanks buddy

Im back if you need more info.