Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

We became aware that our 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid was having…

Customer Question
We became aware that...

We became aware that our 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid was having performance issues when my niece (who is the one that drives the car regularly) reported to us that she was having issues with the car seeming like it was losing power when she would press on the gas. My husband took the car from her and drove it to work and back for a day. He did NOT notice the issues that my niece had reported, but the car DID severely overheat on him on the way home from work (not on the way to work).
We figured that the issues that my niece was having with the car was because the car was in major need of a Transmission Fluid flush (hadn’t been done in a LONG time). We also found (after my husband’s overheating spell) that the car’s serpentine belt had busted (it was completely missing!) and we figured out that it busted because the A/C compressor pulley had froze and busted the belt. It made sense because the A/C had stopped getting cold a few months prior to that. So we replaced the Serpentine belt, and the A/C compressor. My husband again took the car to and from work after those replacements, and the car AGAIN overheated on him on the way home from work.At that point (which was about a month ago now), we parked the car in our driveway jacked-up from the front so that we can further diagnose the overheating issues. This past weekend, my husband finally got around to trying to troubleshoot the overheating. He replaced the Thermostat and thought perhaps we would need to replace the radiator fan relay because he had realized that he never noticed the fan cycle on when the car was overheating. Before replacing the fan relay, we turned on the car and let it run to see if it would heat up again, and to see if the fan would ever come on. He let it run for 10 minutes or so, and although the car didn’t overheat in that time, the fan never cycled on either. He then checked the relay for resistance before deciding to replace it.
As it turns out, there was another relay right next to the fan relay that we were curious about (A blue one). My husband pulled it out to test it, and it sparked/surged, which we attributed to him testing it incorrectly (it was different in the # of prongs it had than the fan relay). So he just put it right back where it was.
So after retrieving the fan relay from the store, bringing it home, and inserting it into the car, my husband attempted to start the car (to test to see if the fan would cycle on again). The car turned on, but then it quickly fluttered and died. It did this numerous times before we thought perhaps it was because we damaged the blue relay that he tested incorrectly. We looked it up and realized that the blue relay was the fuel pump relay; and we figured that must be problem. So we went to go get a replacement fuel pump relay, brought it home and put it in the car; but the car still would not start. In fact, now it won’t even turn over. It will only crank, but not start. My husband tried the trick to spray intake cleaner into the intake, and that got the car to turn over again, but then it quickly died just like before.So now we’re trying to figure out if the fuel pump could have possibly just died on us in the midst of everything else, or did we do something to cause this in our attempts to fix the other issues we’re having. I thought perhaps having the car on an incline for so long could be the problem? Before erroneously testing the blue relay, my husband had already taken the car off of the jacks they were on (when he ran it for 10 minutes as I described, the car was still inclined from the front). We tried to put a little more gas in the tank to see if perhaps it just didn’t have enough gas, but still same problem. As I write this, my husband is going to go get some more gas in hopes that perhaps we just didn’t put enough, but if that is not the problem, can you think of anything else we could troubleshoot before looking towards fuel pump replacement?

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?

We did that before changing the serpentine belt

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?

I explained all above . .

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so, no. :)

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Honda
1/9/2018
Mechanic for Honda: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 5 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If he has not checked to see if any fuses are blown at all after the spark occurred this needs done making sure all fuses are o.k. in all fuse panels.If this is or was checked already and found to be o.k. let me know here so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

all fuses were checked and found to be okay. Anything else?

Have you had fault codes checked with a compatible scan tool that can plug in and can communicate with all computers in your model to see if any of the computers in your vehicle have set any codes?