Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

My brake lights are stuck on. Brake fluid is fine. 1996

Customer Question
My brake lights are...

My brake lights are stuck on

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

Brake fluid is fine

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

1996 Honda accord ex

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm trying if I can. Single mom and the less money I have to spend the better.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Honda
1/6/2018
Mechanic for Honda: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. This issue that you are having is a common issue. What is happening is either the brake light switch is out of adjustment and the button on the switch is not being depressed, or the stop lamp switch is fault and needs to be replaced. It is very common for the button not being depressed because of adjustment. In order to check for this, you will need to visually and physically inspect the brake light switch. This switch is located and mounted to the top of the brake pedal. If you were to stick your head under the dash and look towards the top of the brake you will be looking right at it. Here, I am attaching the replacement information along with the location information. I have also included a wiring diagram along with parts and labor information. The labor pricing is listed in hours and depend on the hourly rate of the shop.

Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician