Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Only. Thanks! Cliff, I have been thinking of what happened,

Customer Question
This question is for Cliff...
This question is for Cliff only. Thanks!Cliff, I have been thinking of what happened, and much as I would like to agree with you saying I have cat-like reflexes, my EE training tells me that unless the fuse is super slow at blowing, if the fuse was not blown, it is because it didn't see the current!Contrary to conventional advice, I first connect directly to the terminals of the dead battery, holding the other two ends apart. So long as there is no spark at the dead battery's terminals, there should be no explosion if gasses have collected :):). Usually, I find people never open the hood, much less maintain good battery terminal hygene :), so by not connecting to the body/chassis for the ground lead, I bypass (more of the) bad/corroded terminals, if present.Then, I connect at the terminals of the good battery with engine running, and the jump is done in a few seconds and I disconnect at the good then bad batteries.This may fly against the face of conventional wisdom, but is what I think saved the day / fuse.Bad battery is in series with fuse and bad car.
Good battery is in series with fues and good car
My goofing up conneced the good and bad batteries in series vs parallel, and shorted them out.
The short circuit current flows momentarily through the jumper cable only, and not the fuse, since I hooked up only to the terminals until I disconnect.
Fix goof and reconnect the jumper cable correctly so the good/bad batteries are in parallel, and complete jump start.Sooo, I don't the the fuse(es) ever saw that short circuit current.What do you think? Please let me know!!
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/5/2018
Mechanic for Honda: Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic

Thank you for taking time to seek expert Honda advice. I am reviewing your question and gathering information. Please standby.

Humm? Well I don't follow or I guess I don't understand your logic? Jump starting a vehicle is a parallel circuit. You are just adding capacity or more potential to the dead vehicle with the good battery. The way to jump start correctly is to make the last connection at a good engine ground Not the battery. Like you said then no spark near the dead battery. It should be done on the dead vehicle. This will eliminate the battery ground cable and it's connections as a possible fault. Never know maybe the dead car has a bad connection at the battery neg terminal? Blowing a main fuse seems to not happen every time. I would need to do some research to find out exactly why. I know vehicles are built using conventional theory not the electron theory. So reversing the cables goes against the design theory.

OK, all is good with the logic to eliminate sparking at the dead battery, as well as minimize accidentally shorting out either battery...My point is (ignore the jump cable connection sequence, and assume the jumper cable is connected at the terminals of the two batteries) that since I connected at the terminals, when I goofed up switching the +ve and -ve, I effectively connected the two batteries in series, and the short circuit current flowed in the cables only; the fuse on either vehicle was never in the loop, and so, did not blow. If I had connected to one of the vehicle grounds (and not terminal), the fuse would have been in the circuit, and blown.It might help if I include a circuit diagram - will do so tomorrow... You can also let me know what you find out. No rush here!We got a foot of snow, and, Saturday morning, temps drop to -11F. Yeeeeee haawwww! The South Pole is about the same temperature, give or take a degree. It is a balmy +20F right now!!!

OK I see what you mean. I was distracted last night so I missed that. I did one of my own diagrams to "see" the problem clearly.

We have been cold and mostly dry. Actually strange weather for here. Warmer than usual then col like normal. We have only had a half inch of sticking snow so far. The freezing rain and fog on the other hand has been pretty bad.

Thinking of my circuit diagram here... Cliff, can you tell me where the fuse goes electrically? Is it the first stop from the +ve terminal? I think the -ve has a grounding strap to the chassis/body, with no side-trip to the fuse box.

Battery Positive terminal cables split. The large one to starter solenoid the other smaller one to fuse box main fuse #41 terminal T1. Negative cables split also one goes to the transmission bracket T3 The other smaller one to the front radiator core support G1. The alternator output cable T101 ends up at the common location next to Battery terminal T1. You can see by the ETM page I sent how the power flows.

HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician