Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have a 2003 Honda Civic electric/gas hybrid that has a bad…

Customer Question
I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 Honda Civic electric/gas hybrid that has a bad alternator. I cannot find an alternator anywhere on line. It’s a 1.3L

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery? Do you hear a clicking when you try and start the car?

I had it checked

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

I can’t find the alternator for this vehicle.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Honda
12/31/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 6 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, the hybrid does not have an alternator. It uses an IMA motor that acts as a generator on deceleration. The IMA motor is connected directly to the engine crankshaft, between the engine and the transmission.

To replace it, you will have to pull the transmission.

You can get them on Ebay for around $150-$200

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If not, at this time please RATE the answer.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.