Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I changed the Odessey 2006 battery, now the sliding door…

Customer Question
I changed the Odessey...

I changed the Odessey 2006 battery, now the sliding door wont do the final latch in the back of the door. Its also super cold here if that matters

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you changed a battery before?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '06 Honda?

I thunk EX, its the model with the 2 power doors, no leather, nav, etc

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your EX yourself? What have you tried so far?

Ive tried disconnecting the battery, also pulling fuses. Door does roll up abd back, it just doesnt pull the back of the door all the way in to close. I hear all of the motors moving like they should

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think thats it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Honda
12/31/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Dan, ASE Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Dan, ASE Master Technician

Hello my name is***** am a Master Technician and I am glad to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will reply shortly.

Was the vehicle washed recently?

I think a couple weeks ago. Door only had the issue after I changed the battery last week though. Had a real cold spell abd the battery froze, only 10 volts. Was 3-4 years old though.

If the battery is disconnected, shut both sliding doors manually. Connect the positive battery terminal, then the negative. The doors will automatically be reset when the battery is reconnected. If the battery is connected, continue on to "Step 2."

2. Turn the ignition on. Move the power sliding door switch to "Off," then move it back to "On." This switch is located to the left of the steering wheel. It's labeled "Main."

3. Press and hold both power sliding door buttons until the doors close completely. If this does not work, turn the "Main" switch to "Off" and manually close the doors. Turn the switch back to "On." The power sliding doors should be reset.

I had found that one, but tried, and didnt do the trick. Door rolls fine, then the last step where it sucks in the back of the door into the lock, doesnt fullyt happen. It sounds like all the motors are moving though

Also the rollers on the sliding doors have a tendency to fall off. Check the door rollers. http://amzn.to/2CvGEvI

The roller on the rear middle area of the door is usually the problem.

Would the poor rollers cause the door to not "suck in" at the end? I think this is the door where I replaced the middle roller a couple years ago. At the time it did latch, just made a whole lot of noise and was jerky going down the track.
What else could be the reason for it not to pull closed. It all started after I changed the battery.
On Manual I can close it fairly well, or just push the back closed, seems to slide ok
I read to clean the latch in the back of the door, would that help? Would WD40 work?

You could try letting it warm up in the garage and try lubricating the latch. The cable that moves the door could be stretched. The latch itself might need to be replaced. I would try warming and lubricating it first.

Would using WD40 on the latch work for the lube? That would get any moisture out as well.
Getting it into the garage would be a challenge. It does sound like its getting close but not latching. I did move the latch with my hand and it moves (not locked up)
Just seems strange for that to happen right after a battery change if everything was fine prior to the change

Yes wd40 is perfect. The door may have been having a problem and then resetting the battery amplified the issue.

Disconnect both battery cables and hold them together away from the battery. Let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes with the cables held together. Reconnect the battery and try the reset procedure again.

If that does not work then your cable/motor assembly might need to be replaced. Ebay would be a good place to search for a used motor assembly.

OK, will try that in the next few days. When you say hold the battery cables together, do you mean the terminals on the cable should be touching eachother but not the battery? Or just make sure they are not touching the battery?Is the cable motor assembly they part that latches the door in the back as well?Thank you

The reset procedure is called a capacitance discharge. Yes touching each other but not the battery.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-2005-2010-Honda-Odyssey-Power-Sliding-Door-Latch-Assembly-X-2/351725586129?epid=1011188920&hash=item51e47a86d1:g:~IoAAOSw5HJXK6fq&vxp=mtr

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving a 3 star or higher rating would be appreciated very much. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out

I am contacting you because this question has not been closed or rated. This question will automatically time out after 7 days.

Please let me know if you have any questions so I can help more. A 3 star or higher rating would be greatly appreciated.

Hoping this information was helpful.
Thanks.