Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Crv 2009 Check engine is flashing. Nothing just of the

Crv 2009 Check engine...

Crv 2009 Check engine is flashing

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

Nope

Mechanic's Assistant: Not a problem. You can work with the Honda Mechanic to figure that out. Are you fixing your CR-V yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing just of the highway, it flashed for 2 minutes as rpm was at 5300 in a steep hill then stopped once on flat land

12/28/2017
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Now that the engine light is solid, are you experiencing engine performance symptoms like skipping or lack of power?

Engine light is now off
Not flashing
No symptoms
Runs fine

Ok. When the light was flashing did you experience any symptoms?

No
20 over here

Ok. Give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

OK

Thanks for holding!

This is a bit of a weird one. When the Check Engine Light flashes, this is the sign of a "Random Cylinder Misfire". This means that one or more of the cylinders is not operating to it's full capacity. However, when this happens, it "usually" presents with engine performance issues. If you were having no symptoms and the light is now off... it may just have been a temporary, quick miss. This could be due to a few different reasons. This can be worn spark plugs, a faulty fuel injector, an intake air leak, low cylinder compression, etc. Given that it's -20 there, it may be fuel related. My advice at this point would be to put some dry gas in the tank to eliminate the fuel being semi-frozen or the injectors icing up on the tips. If the light is now off, it is perfectly safe to drive the vehicle. IF the light does happen to come back, I'd recommend having the diagnostic trouble codes (aka "P-Codes") scanned from the on-board computer. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advanced, etc). These p-codes will more accurately point to the part or sensor that has the problem and from there we can better pinpoint the next course of action. At this point though, like I say, more than likely just an intermittent fluke. Start with the dry gas and see where it goes from here. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating my answer does not cost you extra.

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Thanks Ron

You're welcome! Glad I could be of some help today! Have a great day!