Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

Far my car has not been remote starting. Manual transmission…

Far my car has...

Far my car has not been remote starting

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Manual transmission for 2013 civic si sedan

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic Si yourself? What have you tried so far?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

So far when I initiate the remote start it looks like it is initiated but when you turn off the ignition the engine turns off also

12/28/2017
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is this a factory remote start or after market install?

Are any warning lights on on the dash at all with this issue?

Let me know so we can continue, thanks, Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it is a aftermarket viper 4606v model so no on the lights

Are all doors locking and closed including trunk/hatch and hood?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the thing I dont get is why the engine wont stay on after the remote start has been initiated, when you turn the key the car turns off when you turn the ignition off

O.k.,are you saying it starts with the remote start but turns off when you put the key in and turn it on?

If so if you start it with the key and not the remote start does it stay running then at all?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the remote start does not start at all, I have to use the key to start the car up, the car runs with the key on but when you initiate the remote start and turn the key the engine turns off

O.k., thank you for that info.

That helps me determine if this is a fault on the after market remote side or the factory security system.Since it does start and run with the key but when you try and start it with the remote start and it does not start this indicates the fault is with the remote start system itself.This can be a fault with the control unit for the Viper system installed.I have seen some of these fail before in the past needing replaced for this issue here.You would have to have it tested by an install facility that installs the control unit.You might try a relearn first to see if this resolves the fault though as shown below:

1. Turn the key to the ON position.
2. Within 5 seconds press and release 1 time the Control button on the
Control Center.
3. Within 5 seconds, press and hold the Control button. The status
LED will flash one time and the horn (if connected) honks once to confirm
the system is ready for remote pairing.
4. Release the Control button and proceed to next step.
Prepare the remote control for pairing:
5. Enter programming by pressing and holding the button for 8
seconds to access the Main Menu.
6. Press and hold the button for 1 second, 3 transmit LED flash-
es indicate the remote control is ready to pair.
Press the button.
8. Wait several seconds as the remote generates a security encrypt-
tion and sends it to the Control Center. The horn honks to indicate
Pairing is complete.
If pairing is not successful press and release the button once
and then repeat steps 6 and 7.

If this relearn does not work above you will have to have the remote start system tested to see if the control unit needs to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician
Pete, Auto Service Technician