Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Need to speak with mechanic. I have a 1998 honda ethat I did…

Customer Question
Need to speak with...

Need to speak with mechanic

Mechanic's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I have a 1998 honda ethat I did a transmission swap cant remember if d4 light was on or not but right now D4 light is flashing and the it feels as though it is taking off in second gear

Mechanic's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Back prob around 3 different procedures

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Honda
12/23/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

as you have a flashing D4 light then this means there's a stored fault that can be pulled off

I'd 1st check the state of the fluid and its level with the dipstick

if this is OK then let me know what model honda you have so I can try and find the diagnostic process to you can then pull the code off

Fluid is good (honda fluid) level is good. Code is p1705 (trans gear range ) I changed neutral safety switch from a good running 99 honda accord with the same trans ID code ,still get D4 flashing. I a flow chart that had me back probe connector at pcm all checked out except where it asked is there around 5v there was 3.64v and then further down it asked if I had battery v on certain gear selections they did except D3 (no voltage ) I am thinking that is the problem

Hello

OK thanks for the extra information, to get that code and if you're lacking voltage on some positions of the gear selector then its very likely that the issue is with the gear selector switch at the base of the lever and its not uncommon for the switch to be damaged by someone spilling coke or soda over the center console that then runs into the switch and gums it up

see attached image for the fixing points on the console trim

often you can recover a faulty switch by removing it and flushing it out with contact cleaner and also check the condition of the connector and wiring

I remove the center console got to the connector it's the four wire connector I unplug the connector shouldn't the 4D light stop flashing with the connector unplugged
Mechanic for Honda: Matt, Engineer replied 6 months ago

hello

no if you disconnect the sensor the transmission control module will register that as a fault so it'll still flash

but if you were to scan the codes again you should have a new one telling you there's no range switch connected

does the sensor and / or connector feel 'sticky ' at all?

The connector is nice and clean, can't see sensor though. Are there any test for it. I had a print out from the Internet but that connector had at least 10 pins mine only have 4

hello

its a 3 position switch so its case of using a continuity tester to buzz each position out - measuring the resistance for each position

and there should be a common ground pin for all 3 positions

all should read the same

and I'd squirt some contact cleaner into its innards regardless

Ok I will get some spray contact cleaner and spray in there as you suggest . So 1 ,2 ,D3 and D4 will all test on that 1 4 wire connector ?

hello

yes the position switch should give a reading for all 4 lever locations

Ok Will let you know how I make out.

understood

Also I had the connector disconnected and scanned it again like you said and it still has just that 1 code of p1705

Hello

thanks for the extra information

looking at the image of the shifter there's signs of rust on the top of the tunnel where the sensor wires pass over, can you check / inspect the condition of the wires? also when you move the lever through all the positions whilst making the measurements do you get a change in resistance on the 2 wires?

Got a email asking for a rating, but I have not gotten the problem fixed

Only rate once you're satisfied,

let me know once you've had a chance to check the shifter switch wiring

I just tried switching the whole shifter with a known good one . D4 still flashing. So far I have swapped
Neutral safety
PCM
And shifter
I hear something like a relay clicking in the engine compartment is there anything else in the system? I really need to figure out what the problem is so I can move on. This car is holding me up.

Hello

being as you've replaced everything else then it must be a short in the wiring harness or a internal fault with the Transmission Control Module

I'd say the next step is to continuity test between the selector switch and TCM socket

Ok
Someone else has been in there and I am thinking perhaps they stretch the wire harness or something like that. When you say the switch do you mean neutral safety and the tcm is incorporated in the pcm correct

thats it exactly

the harness between the neutral safety switch and the selector position switch between those sensors and the PCM / TCM

is where I feel the fault lies

I know you are probably trying to enjoy your day so when ever you get a chance if you have a test procedure to send me it would be deeply appreciated. Enjoy the rest of your dsy

hello

I think that you already have a pinout diagram tha you posted up in the 1st answer?

so its a case of using a meter to measure the resistance of each pin on the PCM socket that matches up with the sensor socket

each wire should be no more than 2-3 ohms at most

if you find 1 higher than that then I'd splice in a new wire to replace it

I do have a print out ,but it doesn't show any of the wire that comes off the neutral safety, originally that's what I was thinking of running a new wire but don't know which one. I had no voltage on which ever wire reads D3 that's the I would like to know if it has continuity and where dose it get its voltage from

Hello

my previous post has the neutral switch wiring? it s a black / white wire

You know, I was just looking at your previous message and saw a link down at the bottom that I didn't see when I first looked at it
I am a little confused, because looking at the diagram you sent I don't see any wires coming off any of the gears . The only ones have wires are P & N when I did the connector probe it said I should have battery volts in all positions and the only that didn't have it was D3 . Is there a schematic for that part of the circuit or do you not think that is my problem

sorry but I don't have a schematic for that part

the schematic is just for the neutral switch not for the range switch

and I'd still say I think the issue is a faulty wiring loom between your range switch and the PCM

Ok going to recheck connector coming from shifter

understood