Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

To you. How to avoid low charging on 2012 and newer Hondas…

Customer Question
Hello good day to you...
Hello good day to you. How to avoid low charging on 2012 and newer Hondas when replacing battery Obd2 kam from battery pack doesn't seem to work. Thanks ken
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Honda
I replace batteries for a living. Roadside service. I've noticed 2012 Honda civics and newer after replacing the battery with a new one Using a kam thru the obd2 port to a jnc cigarette port on the jnc Making sure the light comes on on the obd2 kam when plugged into obd2 port on car When car is started. Alt reading starts at about 14.0 declines to12.ish. Turning lights or highbeams on will keep it back in the 14. Range
I was thinking this is a standard question.
12/23/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 2 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

There is no special procedure for replacing the battery. It seems like in these few cases the concern was not just the battery alone. The charging issues after the repair was likely to be an issue before the battery was replaced.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

I believe there is more to this than the answer given

Would you like the manufacturer steps on how to replace the battery?

You have not addressed any specifics I asked about. All you said is there is no specific procedure Not satisfied 100 percent
No rating to be given. Not satisfied 100 percent Have waited 10 hrs to be given a generic answer. Nope
Mechanic for Honda: acura mstr, Honda Master Tech replied 2 months ago
acura mstr
acura mstr, Honda Master Tech

Welcome to Just Answer My name is*****'m here to help you with your problem. The short answer is fuel economy. The PCM in late model Honda vehicles turns the Alternator charge rate down to reduce drag on the engine during low drain conditions and turn the alternator up as load increases. It can be very confusing to test these with conventional test equipment. Honda uses a midtronic GR-8 tester with specific programing designed to set the system off during testing to get an accurate alternator test . So the answer is there is likely nothing wrong with the system . I know it looks like the alternator isnt working but it very likely is ok. And yes I know these late model Hondas are hard on batteries .

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either of the two stars on the left, please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

acura mstr
acura mstr
acura mstr, Honda Master Tech