Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

I have a 2010 Honda Civic with that "split" digital

Customer Question
I have a 2010...

I have a 2010 Honda Civic with that "split" digital dashboard. The digital engine temperature gauge looks weird. Normally it looks like a thermometer with the bottom half or so lit up to indicate a normal temp. But every so often, I hear a "blip" sound from the dashboard and the temp gauge flips upside down! It looks like the TOP HALF of the temp gauge is lit up like an upside-down thermometer and the BOTTOM HALF of the gauge is dark. Then in a minute or so, I hear another "blip" sound and the temp gauge turns rightside up again!

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The digital gauge on the left side of the top instrument panel for the engine temperature.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything because I have absolutely no clue what the cause could be.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Honda
12/23/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, I have not encountered that myself, so if I can get the last 6 of the vin number to check the schematics and look for any related service bulletins on this

The last 6 characters of the VIN number are: 525647BTW, I drove the car for 45 minutes today and that "upside-down" temperature gauge did NOT occur. Perhaps it was a fluke caused by the unusually cold weather causing condensation somewhere?

HI,

Ok, I found an interesting service bulletin that calls for disconnecting the battery cables from the battery and touching together to reset the gauge control module when encountering gage issues. This points to some known but yet unpublished issues with the control module.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager