Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Malfunction indicator lamp light went on. I don't think so.

Customer Question
Malfunction indicator lamp light...

Malfunction indicator lamp light went on

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

I don't think so

Mechanic's Assistant: Not a problem. You can work with the Honda Mechanic to figure that out. What is the model/year of your Honda?

2002 Honda Oddyssey

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Odyssey yourself? What have you tried so far?

Malfunction Indicator Lamp and TCS light came on. Haven't done anything but took my gas cap off and put it back on.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/22/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Ron Z., - Honda Tech - replied 8 months ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Are you experiencing any engine performance symptoms like skipping or stalling?

Skipping

Ok. Thank-you! Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!

When the MIL light comes on and you are experiencing a skip in the engine, this will be due to a "cylinder misfire". There are a few different things that can cause a cylinder misfire. This can be worn spark plugs, a faulty ignition coil, a faulty or clogged fuel injector, an intake air leak, low cylinder compression, etc. More commonly here will be a faulty plug, coil or injector. At this point, the Diagnostic Trouble Code (aka "P-Codes") should be scanned from the on-board computer. These p-codes will point to the cylinder that has the problem, so that repair efforts can be focused on just that cylinder. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advanced, etc). Once you have the p-codes and know which cylinder has the misfire (ie: P0301 - Cylinder 1, P0302 - Cylinder 2, P0303 - cylinder 3, etc...) then I would recommend inspecting the spark plug for any signs of wear like a worn diode or cracks in the body. If any doubts, replace all the plugs. If the plug checks ok, then next the coil and injector should be tested. In the meantime... I would recommend that the vehicle not be driven very far or very long. A cylinder misfire, due to whatever reason, will quickly harm other parts and sensors like the oxygen sensor and the catalytic converter. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating my answer does not cost you extra.

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?