Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

I have a 92 civic...I have battery voltage to the fuel pump.

Customer Question
I connected an external battery...
I have a 92 civic...I have battery voltage to the fuel pump. I connected an external battery voltage to pump and it comes on and so I know pump works. but when I connect the power harness to the pump the voltage drops to zero. the way I checked was I ran two jumper wires from harness turned on ignition switch and the end of jumpers had battery voltage. I clipped two jumpers to the fuel pump connection. I clipped my voltmeter to the harness end of the jumpers and turned on power...had bat volt, I connected the two jumpers on the pump side to the harness jumpers and the voltage dropped to zero. disconnected and touched the pump side to an external battery and the pump came on.....cant figure out why voltage drops to zero when connected? any ideas....thanks in advance
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Honda
12/22/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 2 months ago
Cesar Jimenez

hi im cesar jimenez and i will be assisting you today. im reviewing your question now....

Mechanic for Honda: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 2 months ago

so you bypassed the fuel pump connector with jumper wires and you connect it voltage = 0v.

when you disconnect bypass and just put the jumper wires you have voltage = 12v.

ok so when the harness is plugged into the pump and I connect multimeter and turn on the ignition...there is 0v. If I disconnect the harness and put my multimeter to the harness connections...I get battery voltage when I turn on ignition. I only used jumper wires just to test if possibly the contacts were burnt...so I basically used a wire from neg to neg and pos to pos and checked at the end of jumpers and got battery voltage when I turned on ignition. so basically for what ever reason when its plugged in it doesn't get that 2 seconds of voltage to pump. I have a manual and I had checked relay to verify its working....I jumped the relay harness connection to verify power to pump...the manual says to change fuel pump if you have power....so I changed it. It didn't start so that's when I checked voltage and found that there's no voltage only when plugged in.
no need to call, I cant commit to staying on phone till solved...very busy. Just give me some path to follow....
Mechanic for Honda: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 2 months ago
Check voltage from main relay on fuel pump side. Relay might not hold the amperage draw, so suspect main relay failure
would you happen to know what wire colors on the relay harness to test and am I testing for voltage or amperage...thanks
Mechanic for Honda: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 2 months ago

yellow/green is the one that sends 12v to pump. check for voltage and check for voltage when connected

Cesar Jimenez
Cesar Jimenez
Cesar Jimenez