Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

My 2002 has a failed tork converter. It's for an Odyssey. No…

Customer Question
My 2002 has a...

My 2002 has a failed tork converter

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the torque specs?

No, it's for an Odyssey

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Odyssey yourself? What have you tried so far?

No It is at my trusted dealer

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am wondering why the dealer wants to replace the transmission

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Honda
12/20/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Carguy1, certified tech replied 6 months ago
Carguy1
Carguy1, certified tech

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

If the torque converter is bad it's possible they want to replace the transmission and the torque converter due to debris. If parts of the converter are floating around in the transmission it could cause other damage to the transmission and other shift solenoids, so more then likely they want to do both for that reason.

I would talk to them about possibly installing a used one from a low mileage wreck to help cut the costs.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Is "used one from a low mileage wreck" another option to a "rebuilt transmission"?

Yes, it won't be rebuilt, but it will be a transmission from a vehicle that's been wrecked. You can usually find one for a bit less than a rebuilt. Not that there is anything wrong with a rebuilt, just if you are looking to lower the overall cost.

You are very welcome!
Also, kindly remember to rate my answer.
Thank you so much!!