Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

I am getting a cylinder 5 misfire code on my 2012 honda

Customer Question
I am getting a...

I am getting a cylinder 5 misfire code on my 2012 honda pilot. I have had to replace 3 coils so far on this vehicle. One by me, 2 by the dealer. I just swapped the spark plugs. All of them were showing burn marks on the porcelain. This has been a recurring issue and I am feeling less and less confident about the vehicle's reliability. The car has 155K miles on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you seen the misfire code before? Has the car been stalling?

Yes, I have seen the code come up multiple times. I have taken it to the dealer, they tell me it's a coil and they swap it out. I have seen it before myself. I can clear the code, sometimes it stays clear for a while, but will eventually come back.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?

Right now I am yes. So far I have just swapped the plugs.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Honda
12/20/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic

Thank you for taking time to seek expert Honda advice. I am reviewing your question and gathering information. Please standby.

When I swapped the plugs you could tell that the coils on the rear bank of cylinders were showing signs of burns starting compared to the front bank.

Thanks for the picture that really helps. It looks OK to me, no oil consumption. It's a problem with this engine on cylinders 1-4. Sometimes see it on other cylinders too. There is a warranty extension for 1-4 but not the other cylinders.

Were the plugs tight?

Also do you feel any misfire? Rough idle etc? Does the misfire go away after the coil is replaced for a while?

Is it #5 every time or is it on random cylinders? Sorry for all the questions I should have asked all at once.

Definitely feel the misfire. Rough idle and affects acceleration. I can't recall which cylinder it was the other times but I may be able to get that info from the dealer. The plugs were not very tight when I removed them. The new ones are snug now but still seeing the issue.

Thanks, ***** *****'s #5 every time it's something related to just that cylinder. Coils don't fix it so that's out. Compression, valves too tight, or a bad fuel injector. I asked about the plugs because if loose they can leak combustion gas and damage the coils. If you still feel it my guess is you have one of the issues I mentioned. Can you ask the dealer about #5? I can wait till you find out.

Thanks, Cliff

Ok, checking with them now.

OK, Thanks.

By the way, I found the pic of the code reader I took when I replaced the last coil myself. It was coil 6 that I swapped.

Bad coils is common too. If it's been different cylinders I would say coils.

if the coils keep going bad, what is causing them to fail? This motor seems to have a bad history from the VCM issues and how it prematurely wears some parts.

It does have issues with pistons and ring wear. That would show as fouled plugs and or oil consumption. Coils will fail if the plugs are not tightened properly. Other than that they have a history of poor mfg. Just bad coils, they seem cheaply made. Might be worth trying a different brand.

The VCM switching the cylinders off caused the oil control rings to gum up. Then the engine starts using oil foiling plugs on the VCM cylinders. Then you see it as a misfire. Your problem so far doesn't relate to that issue. That's good news. Once I have the news from the dealer I can give you a better answer.

Thanks, Cliff

Ok. I just got off the phone with them. They show replacing #5 before but didn't have info on which other one was replaced. Also, I may have given you the wrong number from my previous code reader pic. That was off of a friends vehicle. The last time I saw an issue the code was showing a P0355 error. Ignition coil E primary/secondary. It did not give me a specific cylinder number. I just pulled the coils until I found the one that was burnt out.
Let me see if I can figure out which coil I swapped.
Looks like coil 4 that I swapped.

So we know #5 has been done 2x for sure maybe 3x?

The P0355 for sure was just a bad coil so we can rule it out as any other engine related issue.

Correct. Not sure about 3x but no way to verify. As it stands though, coil 4 is the only aftermarket coil in there. All others are Honda dealer installed parts. Would you recommend swapping #5 with aftermarket and see if that clears it?

Yes that is what I was going to suggest. A quality one like NAPA if you have them in your area. They seem to sell better electrical parts there. Looks like just bad coils.

You can come back if needed after rating today if you still have issues. I will keep the question open for you.

Thank you and have a wonderful holiday season, Cliff aka Honda-Man

Mechanic for Honda: Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic replied 1 month ago

Please reply if you need more help so we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the page before exiting the site. Rating does not close out your question or cost extra. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, I will try to give you the best answer possible.

Thank you!
~Honda-Man Factory trained and ASE certified Honda-BMW tech 30+ years experience.

Honda-Man
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic