Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I also have just had the speedo fall to zero on a cold night…

Customer Question
I also have just...

I also have just had the speedo fall to zero on a cold night with my 1998 CRV. I noticed that the idle speed---it is a manual trans ---was staying up at about 1800 rpm when usually it drops after a minute of so back to around 1000. About 2 minutes later the check engine light came on. This morning the tach needle fell to zero and the wipers started to go slowly. I'm expecting a charging problem but wonder if this is causing all the issues. I checked that the multi groove alternator belt is still on, but could not check it's tension.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Check engine stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '98 Honda?

Base model, whatever that is

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet. trying to diagnose and get home to my mechanic

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just noticed about an 8 ft diameter rainbow stain in the water beneath the car. It started directly beneath the engine spreading down hill since I parked it at work this morning. can't tell if it is gas or oil from the feel or smell.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/18/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Tim Mohr, ASE Master Tech replied 7 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE Master Tech

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is usually caused by a bad alternator, and is easy to verify, do you have a volt meter?