Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Has not been used in several days, suspect need a new

Customer Question
Has not been used...

Has not been used in several days, suspect need a new battery as is 4 years old but it wont even turn over, I have a charger on it now, yes with red and green correct, all fuses in place

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Does the charger have a voltmeter on it? I am knowledgeable but not a mechanic

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

I know the charger is running, its a 2008 Honda civic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

I checked the fuses put the charger on and tried to start it, its cold here in Minnesota so I thought I would leave it on a bit longer

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Cant think of anything

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/14/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

If the battery has a weak cell the charger may not charge it enough to to get it to crank especially in extream cold weather. Leave the charger on it for a while and then if you can check the voltage at the battery. You need at least 12 volts for the starter to crank. Check this and let me know what you find and we can work from there.

its a Honda CRV, battery is about 4 years old, how do I check the voltage? does the charger tell me? I can hear the charger running and there was spark as I connected it
Charger has been on for 30 minutes, should I put it on lower amps

To check the voltage you will need a voltmeter, you place the red lead from the voltmeter on the positive post and the black lead on the negative post and read the voltage. If in fact, the battery is low then no, do not lower the amperage, let it charge. You will need all the voltage you can get to crank the engine, especially in extream cold.