Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

1996 civic will not engage direct drive at cruise speed. No…

Customer Question
1996 civic will not...

1996 civic will not engage direct drive at cruise speed

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

No not fixing it myself. Have not tried anything

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

On long trips, occasionally it will go into direct drive, but not on short trips. Otherwise, transmission shifts through gears just fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

138K miles on original

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Honda
12/11/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 2 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

Have you noticed the coolant temperature not reaching normal temperature? Do you have a check engine light on?

Just had radiator replaced and new thermostat that takes longer to warm up the engine, but it eventually moves temp gauge to mid range. No check engine light

Did transmission problem start after the work was done? If temperature does not reach normal then computer will not let transmission shift to high gear lock up.

Noticed taking longer to engage direct drive for about a year now. Just recently started to no engage at all, except occasionally

Have you had the transmission tested since the problem started to happen? Do you have any service lights on in dash or any other issues?

No & No

Since this is a CVT transmission you will need to first try and have it serviced and filter replaced using only qualified service mechanic like one from dealer and if servicing does not fix the issue then the transmission can only be replaced since they are not rebuildable and serviced as an assembly only.

Not a CVT, 4 - speed auto

Okay. They had both of these on this car. Have the transmission scanned to see if the computer is turning on the overdrive solenoid or not? If computer is commanding solenoid on and not locking up into high gear then replace the shift solenoid to fix the issue.

1996 civic LX options: 5 - speed manual or 4 - speed auto only

You are correct for the 1.6 Lx version. I looked up the HX version and it had the 1.6 with CVT transmission. You originally did not say the model and I had to pick one when looking it up. Sorry for the confusion.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

If no other questions can you please enter a 5 star rating so I can get credit for helping you today. Thanks.

Jaybird61
Jaybird61