Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have a 2004 honda civic My after market radio quite

Customer Question
workoing so I pulled it...
I have a 2004 honda civic My after market radio quite workoing so I pulled it out. Since than I have had no rear lites of any kind
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Honda
12/9/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Mike S., Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

In the under dash fuse box, there is a fuse #10, check that fuse for being blown.

10 the one call meter on the cover is good. I actual put a new one in just to be sure

Is this a hybrid or not?

All of what don't work? I know you said brake lights. Do the taillights also not work?

What about the turn signals back there?

No lites at the rear of the car work brake lites tail lites turn signal reverse lite. Al front lites work

Is this a hybrid or not?

Nope note a hybrid

Remove the bulbs or at least 1 of them, power on the circuit then test to see if voltage is getting to either bulb. If it is, then it must be a ground problem and it might just be 1 ground for all those lights back there.

Plus, tell me if this is a hatchback or not.

Here are the exterior lights wiring diagrams in case we need them.

Not a hatch back

Check a bulb or just go right to the G601 at center of trunk and check that ground.

Here is a photo of that ground G601.

It is getting late now and my eyes are getting tired, so I am off to bed.

I'll check in on you tomorrow about 10 am or so.

Any news?

Did you check power to a bulb?

was that G601 ground ok?

I assume you got it fixed, If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

Still nothing

Did you check power to a bulb?

Yup nothing

Ok, which bulb did you test, did you test both sides of the bulb and are you sure you had a good ground on your tester and was you using a voltmeter or a 12 volt test light?

If the power does supposed to flow through that #10 meter fuse, after you power on the circuit, test if that fuse is getting hot on both sides or not.

Nothing on that fuse

Which circuit are you powering nd if the stoplamps, do you have the key on run and brake pedal pressed down?

Actually for the stoplamps they key doesn't have to be on.

Fuse #10 has no power key on or off
I tested at the brake switch it has power going in and when I press the pedal different wire powers up

Are you pressing down on the brake pedal when testing that fuse #10? If so, you have an open or short in that wire in between the brake switch and that #10 fuse.

Don't forget to rate me well, so I get credit. If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

No. So power from brake switch goes to that fuse ?

Yes, you have to press down the brake pedal when testing for power at that fuse.

And test both sides of the fuse.

No sure what I did but car is completely dead now headlites come on but nothing else won’t turn over
When key is in ignition it beeps

Dunno, check the main fuses under the hood, especially the #19 and #20.

20 is blown. I’ll be awhile getting one of those. What did I do to cause that to blow ?

Don't know, that is a main feed. You might want to grab 2 of those fuses just in case.

Let me get the power dist and see what else that fuse feeds.

The only thing it feeds is the ignition switch.

Which in turn does feed that fuse #10 under the dash.

Ok I’ll contact you once I have it replaced

ok

Just looking at the wiring diagram you sent me (thanks ) could it be a relay ? And is there anyway to test them

Could what be a relay? The reason you just lost everything or the reason them light don't work?

Plus, you never told me before which bulb you were actually testing when you said you had no power.

Checked all in the Driver’s side rear Relay the reason lites aren’t working

What are you talking about? You got me lost now.

I wanted you to check one of those bulbs for voltage, that is it. I need to know which bulb you tested for voltage?

You want me to check bulbs or sockets the bulbs go in ?

Never mind, I have got to go. I am opting out.

Mechanic for Honda: justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will not be working with you. Is the vehicle currently starting and running normally? Is the only issue the rear lights?

Didn't mean to say "not". Meant to say now

I blew fuse # 20 under the hood so I need to get it replaced. Not sure if I can get one today or not*****one way to get one. before that blew I had No rear lites at all. Brake,turn signal,running or reverse lites were all not working. Also cruise control. All fuses(except 20 now) are good. Took all bulbs out of Driver’s side rear and all look good. No power coming to sockets.
Problem origin: Aftermarket stereo that was in the car stopped working. When we pulled the stereo out to replace it, the problems with the lights and cruise control began. Note: The stereo that we bought as a replacement powers up all right, But I’m not putting it in until I get the rest of the problems fixed.
Please tell mike thanks for his help. Sorry I drove him away

I would also need to know if the parking lights work. When you turn the headlight switch to PARK do the front and rear parking lights come on? Did you check this?

Yup front work. Nothing in the rear

okay. Let me look over the wiring diagrams. Give me some time

Ok thanks.

no problem.

I believe I have the problem fixed. At least I have brake lites and tail lite. Just need to get fuse for ignition. One of the plugs that go into the fuse block was out. I slide the fuse block down this morning and noticed it

great. if you need any additional help let me know. I wasn't able to access my service information. I had to wait to get back to work today. I am assuming you are talking about connector 601. It looks like it contains wires that relate to all the problems you are having.

justinsbg
justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician