Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have an issue in my honda odyssey, 2007, yes, I did by…

Customer Question
I have an issue...

I have an issue in my honda odyssey

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Odyssey?

2007

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Odyssey yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I did by myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just replace the front pad, but cause some leakage

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/6/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr. replied 4 months ago
Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. What type of leakage has happened in the course of replacing the pads? Brake fluid?

I think it is brake fluid. I replaced the front brake pads. During one pad replacement, I did some mistake, loose the fluid line, and leak some fluid. But now I saw the brake fluid still kind of full. I tried to drive the car. The brake pad has no pressure, the brake can not work. When the car is parking, I push the brake pedal, I can feel it is strong.

You have admitted air into the brake calipers. I would recommend that you "bleed" the brake calipers. Do you know how to do this?

I don't know. How? Thanks.

Perhaps the instructions would be best done via phone. Is this acceptable?

Before paying more money, I want to know it is hard or not, Do I have to let the expert (dealer) to handle it. Or it can be done by myself.

It is not difficult, but you need to do it properly or there will be no improvement.

It is NOT recommended that you drive this vehicle to a shop with no brake pressure.

It make sense. Do I need some tools or brake fluid to do this job? I should prepare it before tomorrow.

You need to spray the brake bleeders with penetrating fluid before you start. And let the fluid work in to the threads. If you do not do this, the bleeder screws may break off and that would not allow the procedure to complete. After that, you need a special tool called a "line wrench" that fits the bleeder screw.

You will also need a can of new brake fluid.

if I DIY, how long will it take? Thanks.

About 1 hour. Please advise how many miles are on this vehicle and has the brake fluid ever been changed?

it is about 60.000 miles. Brake fluid should be changed by dealer. I normally went to dealer every half year.

ok. Here are the instructions: One person loosens the bleeder screw. The person in the vehicle presses the brake pedal to the floor and HOLD IT THERE. Do NOT pump the pedal. Fluid and air should come out of the bleeder. Close the bleeder screw. The other person releases the brake pedal. Repeat. Loosen the bleeder. Press the pedal to the floor and hold it. Close the bleeder. Repeat until no air bubbles are seen. Add fluid to the master cylinder as needed to maintain a full reading.

Thanks. Seems it is not related to the brake pad anymore. Two person job. material should be: line wrench and brake fluid. One hour. Where is the bleeder?

On the back side of the caliper.

do i need to do both front sides? or just the leakage side.

Just the leakage side unless a lot of fluid came out.

I will do the leakage side first.
Does the bleeder line tube connect to the brake calipers?

The bleeder is a fitting that is screwed into the metal of the caliper. Do not confuse the bleeder for the fluid pressure line.

I accidentaly unscrewed the line, and the fluid leaked out. Do I need to monitor the fluid tank level ?

Yes.

Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service