Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Key is stuck in the ignition. when you shift into park then…

Customer Question
Key is stuck in...

Key is stuck in the ignition. when you shift into park then turn it to the first ignition spot both P and D4 come on at same time. will start and shift fine just can't get the key out in Park

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Yes you can turn the wheel not sure about the key it is stuck.( in my daughters car)

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

1996 accord automatic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, took off the shifter handle and button

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Honda
12/6/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Here is the wire diagram that goes with this concern. https://www.dropbox.com/s/amhc0j9a0ggqgmu/keyinterlock.pdf?dl=0 Can you confirm the key interlock solenoid is getting power and ground once shifted into park?

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

How do I test it? Do i have to remove the steering wheel?

You can access it from the steering column shrouds removed and you would use a volt ohm meter to test.

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Well I️ do but I️ am going to say no because we will have to listen about Leary and dr Martin and I️ don’t want to hear it.

we will have to listen about Leary and dr Martin and I️ don’t want to hear it. I have no clue what you are referring to.

Do you need more assistance on removing your key or are you pleased with my help?