Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

A lot or engine noise at 2500-3000. but not when the engine…

Customer Question
A lot or engine...

A lot or engine noise at 2500-3000. but not when the engine is cold.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

The engine has 205,000 manual trans.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

2003 civic lx sedan

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing. need info.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Are these engines known to have rod/main bearing issues?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Honda
12/2/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Tracer3, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Tracer3
Tracer3, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, I am Randall. Can you describe the noise?

it almost reminds of me spark knock, but not that sharp. This sounds internal to the engine and is rhythmic with rpm. it occurs at 2500-3500 range every shift.
I had a 2005 civic that had the same noise. the engine is much quieter when it is cold, I don't hear this noise,
as far as the operation of the engine, it idles smooth, seems to have normal power. doesn't really use oil. when I hold rpm constant, say at 3000 it sounds normal.

thanks, ***** ***** return shortly with information

well, hard to identify not being there. NO this engine is not noted with any bearing issues, but sure it could? happen, Lifter noise is a bit more common. You do have high miles, engine has worn over the years and clearances have become greater on the bearings. Your possibles could even include a timing belt that is stretched, Unsure if you have tried any additives especially to try and clear out the hydaulic lifters. I recommend Lucas if you want to try this./ Also, 5w20 oil is a thinner, and NO problem jumping up to 5w30 which fills in bearing gaps at least to see if the noise dissipates. Try high mileage formula at 5w30. If noise lessens? then likely internal bearing problem .Lastly? one should always remove the engine drive belt and run engine to see if any change in the noise , Remove the belts when hot then try.

remember when cold oil is thicker

does the 1.7 have hydraulic lifters? I know the valves have to be checked and adjusted.
I was just wondering if it was normal or not. I guess ill go on wondering.

You are correct I was thinking the other engine on lifters. In any case. I did mention in my reply it is not normal. No noise like you describe is normal/.All I can do from my end is send some ideas on how to help diagnose as well as possible reduce or eliminate the noise