Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

My 2005 honda accord has a radio issue. It will work then…

Customer Question
Good morning Mechanic's Assistant:...

Good morning

Mechanic's Assistant: Hi. How can I help?

My 2005 honda accord has a radio issue. It will work then make a loud pop then goes silent. still powered up but no sound this used to come and go now the radio remains silent unless i disconnect the battery for a minute or two then reconnect. then it might work for an hour or maybe 10 minutes

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

It is coming from the speakers. this has been ongoing but getting worse for 3 years I'm read of many similar complaints but havent heard of any fix for the issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm hoping too fix myself. The only thing I have done was trying to eliminate one speaker at a time using the fade and balance controls in hope of isolating one bad speaker that could be causing the issue. I haven't had any luck with that

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Honda
12/1/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Sounds like you may have a connector issue, I would pull the radio, check connector and clean and grease with proper electrical cleaner and grease, a few other things to check are the radio fuse and power at the fuse and power at the radio connector and ground, pull fuse to check for corrosion

Shawn. Good morning, just a quick backround on me. I'm an electrician for 30+ yrs and have been working on cars most of my life. It seems improbable that it could be a connector issue because the disconnecting of he power to the vehicle and then reconnecting is the only fix thus far so a loose connector would not typically reconnect just becase I disconnected the battery. It seems more like a diod or resettable fuse that reset once power is removed. Thoughts??

resistance and moment of vehicle will cause what your talking about in the connector, and there is no resetable fuse in that circuit and only diodes are within the radio, so I would check ground at the connector and power and your pins see what you some up with, the resistance will build up heat eventually causing enough for the radio to shut off

Additionally, the power to the head remains on even with no sound. Is there an internal amp that can be bypassed? If that is dropping in and out that might cause the issue. The problem happens even is the car is just sitting in the driveway not just say when driving and hitting bumps. Is there anyway to get to the harnesses without pulling the dash apart?

ok there is a ton of systems to choose from out of all of these what do you have, 4 door, 2 door, rear entertainment, ex, lx, ex, dx, hybrid, manual or auto trans

4Dr lx
Auto trans very basic vehicle. No entertainment system
Ok I'll let you know how it goes

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving me nothing less than a 5 star rating would be appreciated very much. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

Your response that the head unit is bad is exactly what I already knew based on 100 other posts. However my hope in contacting a honda expert was to find out what specifically the frequent failure of these heads involves. I went out and installed an aftermarket radio. Not what I was hoping for but what what can I say. I regret that the site might hold back payment. But I was charged $30 to find out what I already know. So I will not be using the service again