Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Starta and cutts off immediately. 2004 honda civic 1.3l

Customer Question
Starta and cutts off...

Starta and cutts off immediately

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

2004 honda civic 1.3l hybrid

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

Swapped the motir

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Motor due to a stripped head bolt on the block. donor motor was running prior to install

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Honda
engine cranks starts for a second and cuts off
11/29/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

Do you have any fault codes present in the pcm?

none
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

Do you have fuel pressure present?

fuel pressure present
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

Does the antitheft/ security light come on the dash when you try to start?

no
i unlocked the door with the in addition to the key fob to try and reset the alarm
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

OK.

Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

Is there strong and constant spark present when you try to start?

Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

Did you check for incorrect valve timing?

well the motor was complete and had been running in the previous car. all i did was swap
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

Is it a manual or automatic transmission?

read it could be timing but 1.3l has a chain and had been running fine prior. its an auto
replaced crank sensor
replaced my old intake manifold
replaced oil pressure sensor all from my original motor
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

Is the replacement engine from same year and model?

same year
same model
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

One more thing, did you check all the fuses?

all fuses r good
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

Next step will be to scope cam and crank signals to make sire proper signal is present. If signal is strong only thing left is timing.

how can i check that
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

A compatible scan tool will be needed. With that you can check for signal from input sensors like cam and crank sensors.

could it be that the key is communicating with the ecu
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

If that is the case the antitheft light will come on the dash?

Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

If that is the case the antitheft light will come on the dash

i just find it highly unlikely since the motor was running fine in the other car.the light turns on when u start the car and shuts off
when u shut down the key it blinks a couple of times and shut off again
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

It should be blinking when engine is turning over. But you already have spark, fuel and no codes. There is nothing else left other than timing or faulty cam/crank signal.

ok
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

Do you have any other questions?

well i swapped the cam sensor just now and nothing
Mechanic for Honda: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

I will opt out and let another expert assist you.