Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Two trouble codes: 68-1 brake switch malfunction & 86-1

Two trouble codes: 68-1...

Two trouble codes: 68-1 brake switch malfunction & 86-1 controller area network relation malfunction

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

68-1 and 86-1 per OBDII

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '68 Honda?

2006 Honda Pilot EXL

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

VSA light and brake light illuminated on dash

Intermittently seeing the red "brake" yellow "VSA" and yellow triangle warnings on the dash. Sometimes solid, while other times flickering. Checked OBDII codes and received the following: 65-1 Brake fluid low level, 68-1 Brake switch malfunction, 86-1 Controller area network relation malfunction. I am assuming first step is to top off brake fluid and replace brake switch and then clear codes to see if the corrects the issue. If not move on to final malfunction.
11/29/2017
camerontech
camerontech, Auto Service Technician

hi there

im cam, a licenced diagnostic tech

there is a ground that can come loose on these and even corrode and cause havoc with the vsa system.

remove this ground and check for connection and clean .

it is the g302 and is located behind the kick panel on the drivers side.

i have included a diagram of its location as an attachement for your

let me know how you make out and what you find!

cam

Pulled the ground connection and it is clean and has a positive connection to the frame. Did not provide any improvement. I am pretty sure the brake switch is faulty, so will replace that for $8.However, that does not address the VSA warning. The vehicle does not exhibit any symptoms of automatic braking as others have noted on Honda forums, so system is not engaging, so thinking it may be a faulty sensor.What does the 86-1 "Controller Area Network Relation Malfunction" error code mean?

please give me a few mins and ill load up some info for you

thanks

i am having some honda diag site problems and i cannot log back in for some reason

i will have to opt out so you can get helped quiker

another tech will jump in soon. please dont reply or it will lock back to me

cam

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I have check for information on code 86 and this issue. This code maybe cause by a faulty PCM or the VSA(electronic brake control module). If the brake switch is reading faulty also, then the issue will be confined to the PCM if this is the case. Just for good measure you should check the fuses for these components. The fuses are #s 6 and 9 in the under the dash fuse box. Be sure to check fuse #6, since it powers the brake switch and the VSA. If these fuses are sound, and the brake switch is good, then I am leaning towards the issue being. Here, I am attaching the electrical diagram with the areas of concern highlighted. Also, I have included information on the codes that you have provided.

Here, I am attaching the fuse location information for the drivers side fuse box.

Here is testing for the brake switch. You will need a scan tool in order to test the PCM and the VSA.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician
Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician