Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

My battery died, so I jumped it. Car started fine, but the…

Customer Question
My battery died, so...

My battery died, so I jumped it. Car started fine, but the ABS and the stability indicator lights came on and stayed on for several days and the change oil percentage light is out. Also, sometimes the side doors will not automatically close. A warning beep sounds instead. I can close them manually, and I can open them. Car seemed to be fine otherwise, but just in case, I put in a new battery. The indicator lights are still on, and the oil change indicator is still blacked out. The doors seem to be ok now. I read this requires a reset of the electronic controls, but not sure how to do this.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

No, just the ABS light, and the stability indicator-- the one that shows a car with swerve lines beneath it.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

2013 Honda Odyssey.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Odyssey yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I would like to fix it myself. So far, the only thing I did was change the battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I think that is it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Honda
11/27/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago
Cesar Jimenez
Hi I’m cesar I’m reviewing your question now. I’ll get back to you as soon as possible
Hi Cesar,
Thanks! Looking forward to your expert advice on this.
Diane
I think we can start with chat. If the process isn't clear, we can switch to a phone call. Thanks!
Mechanic for Honda: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago

hi how are you. i reviewed your question and in order to view what codes the abs/vsa modules you need a scan tool. my guess is the wheel speed sensor lost memory with the dead battery and they will have to be a relearn procedure done. you are going to have to take it to the dealer or to a technician with proper scan tools.

Hi Cesar,Ok, that's frustrating. Thank you for your help, though! I will call a dealer but what about the doors? Is the electronic control system for the doors and the oil usage gauge separate then? I read online where a guy with a Honda Odyssey 2011 had a dead battery and his side doors quit working. He unlooked the battery cables, touched them together for ten minutes, and that solved the problem. I also have the door and oil change gauge problem.
I found this on an Odyssey owner forum. Several other people successfully reset the ABS/VSA lights without needing codes by doing the same thing, and/or checking certain fuses. The advice was given by a former service center technician, who said you can try this first before taking the car to the dealer. I did call the dealer and they said they would do a "hard reset" and it would be $80. That seems ridiculous to me - my battery dies and every time I need to swap out a battery I have to pay an additional $80 for a hard reset? Just curious about your opinion on trying this procedure. I am assuming it would not hurt anything to try.
Mechanic for Honda: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago

as long as the technician that is working on your vehicle with the right scan tool they can do same that the dealer does.

as for taking off the battery cables yes it can be done. but leave them off for like 10mins after that. remember that your radio will go into antitheft mode and you will need the code to make it work again.

for the oil life here is a procedure to reset in the attachment:

Try these test first. thank you for being patient

Mechanic for Honda: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago

hi just checking up on you. hopefully you got it fixed. please rate me on my services and have a happy holidays