Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

On november 1, I bought a 2008 honda crv which vibrates at…

Customer Question
On november 1, I...

On november 1, I bought a 2008 honda crv which vibrates at about 70 kmh at 1500 rpm. This condition is intermittant and happens in all weather. I would like to know the cause and what my options are ie: oil change, new tranny?

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

Sorry for the delay. I talked to the previous owner who bought the vehicle new in '08 and never experienced any shudder. He had regular maintenance performed at the dealer but can't recall if tranny oil was replaces. I visited «carcomplaintes.com» where I noticed 3 other owners with the same problem and all they got as a corrective measure was to replace the tranny??

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CR-V yourself? What have you tried so far?

Sweet dick

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that's about all...

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Honda
11/27/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Greg, import technician replied 4 months ago
Greg
Greg, import technician
Hi .
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with this problem.First question I have for you is , is this car a 4wd .
Is the check engine light on when the engine is running.
Greg
4wd and no check engine. The vehicle purrs like a kitten, except for the shudder at about 70 kmh, 1500 rpm. It seems as if the tranny needs to downshift but doesn't. It sounds much like driving over those perpendiculer grooves on the right side of some highways for distracted drivers, although not as loud. BTW, 143,000 km.
If you shift down to a lower gear but keep at 70 is will it still shudder
Greg
Also when cruising at 70 can you make the shudder come and go as you want with slowing down or speeding up .
Greg
The shudder is intermittant and will happen only when I let the vehicle slow down from say 90 kmh to about 70 without applying brakes. She will shudder for about 3 to maybe 4 seconds. I havn't thought of manually downshifting or accelerate. I can live with it if it's just a nuisance and won't damage any particular component. We just bought the crv from a Nissan dealer and the 30 day guarantee expires on december 1. He can't really help us because the problem is intermittant.
If you can play with the shudder and keep it happening at a fixed speed
I might have a cheap repair for this problem “might “
Greg
Ok thanks, I'll see what I can do.Let you know.
Could you hold it at a steady speed and keep the shudder going
Greg
Sorry for the delay Greg. I am awaiting feed-back from the Nissan dealership (diagnostic) from whom I bought the véhicle. I'll let you know before this weekend. Thanks!
Okay sounds good
Greg
Good afternoon Greg,
Ok, my Nissan dealer found the problem: A stiff u-joint located at the front of the driveshaft. U- joint can't be replaced as it is part of the d-shaft. Shaft on order at no cost to me and will be installed next week. Thanks for taking an interest on my problem!
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician