Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Fans only come on when on ac or defrost temp setting is

Customer Question
Fans only come on...

Fans only come on when on ac or defrost temp setting is selected. top radiator hose gets hot, heater hoses both get hot, bottom radiator hose stays cold. I just replaced thermostat, both temp sensors one on the bottom of radiator and top of engine under the air filter, i have also tried swapping relays and now I just replaced the water pump and replaced the radiator cap And I’m putting the serpentine belt back on if the bottom hose still doesn’t get hot what else can I try

Mechanic's Assistant: What shape is the serpentine belt in? Is it cracked, shiny, or frayed? And have you ever replaced one?

A little shiny and cracked I’m putting on a new one

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

2003 Honda Element all wheel drive

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Element yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fans only come on when on ac or defrost temp setting is selected. top radiator hose gets hot, heater hoses both get hot, bottom radiator hose stays cold. I just replaced thermostat, both temp sensors one on the bottom of radiator and top of engine under the air filter, i have also tried swapping relays and now I just replaced the water pump and replaced the radiator cap And I’m putting the serpentine belt back on if the bottom hose still doesn’t get hot what else can

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Honda
11/26/2017
Mechanic for Honda: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 7 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

engine running, coolant full, heater turned on full blast. if the lower hose isn't getting hot, there are 2 possibilities. 1. the thermostat is backward. 2. the radiator is clogged.

Thermostat comes from factory installed in the housing same problem with the old one and the new one
Radiator I can fill from top under cap coolent and coolent drains out of drain pitcock on the bottom could the radiator still be blocked

remove the upper hose and the lower hose. get a garden hose and add water to the top opening and the same amount and velocity of water going into the top should come out of the bottom

I put water in the top hose of the radiator with the bottom hose off. water from the garden hose flows through and out the bottom as quick as I put it in, I tried putting the garden hose in the bottom of the radiator hose and water comes out the top of the radiator as quick as I put it in both out the top hose or the cap filler if I plug the upper hose

ok, now with hoses reconnected and the system full did you bleed all of the air out?

by running the engine with the cap off for 15 min

did you squeeze the upper hose until no more bubbles or air pocket come out?

fill it up and bleed it again and again until that lower hose gets hot. you still have air in there

What is your procedure for bleeding it correctly

I fill it up, squeeze the hose until no more bubbles or air pockets come out. then I fill it up again and run the engine with the cap off and squeeze the hose again and again until no bubbles or air pockets come out. then I see if both hoses get equally hot. if not then I do the procedure over again until the lower hose gets hot. sometimes it takes a few times of doing this.

Hows it going, were you able to get the lower hose hot?

hows it going????

5 times I tried no air the last 2 still no heat to bottom hose

Is the system under pressure? if you can easily take the cap off after the engine has been running for a few minutes and there's no pressure, then replace the cap. If there's pressure, then you have a water pump issue

I will check for pressure soon as I get time but I have replaced the water pump new, thermostat new, cap new, serpentine belt new, fan sensor switch on the bottom of the radiator new, temp sensor switch on top of motor new. i’m thinking if the new thermostat in the housing might be bad, my guess is going to be for me to remove the thermostat from the housing and try running it without the thermostat and see it what happens, what's your opinion

have you pressure tested the system with a coolant system pressure test set?

No

try doing that to look for exterior or internal leaks

hows it going?