Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have a 2016 Honda Civic EX Coupe. The car got some water…

Customer Question
I have a 2016 Honda...
I have a 2016 Honda Civic EX Coupe. The car got some water in it and the sound of the radio stopped working. I replaced the amp and wala the sound was working again. Now I can't seem to get an FM or AM station to work. The radio will show FM or AM but won't show any station numbers. I am wondering if there is another part in the audio system that could be damaged. Any ideas?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Honda
11/21/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Sounds like the head unit may be bad, I would try doing a hard reset on the system and check the grounds at the radio and check the antenna connections

Hey nice to meet you, the head unit is fine and has been tested as everything else works. My skill level is high as I rebuild cars for a living. I am looking to understand based on Honda documentation what parts are part of the audio system that could be bad. Is there a powered or amplified antena that I am missing?
Do you have a Honda document on the audio system?

Do you know if yours is a ninth gen or 10th gen civic?

10

I do not have a doc for that ill have to open this back up to the others to see if they have something

Ok thanks, ***** ***** another’s response
Mechanic for Honda: MASTER TECH, Honda Technician replied 7 months ago
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Technician

Hello welcome to just answer I am master tech and I will be able to assist you,

I'm a factory Honda tech and will have access to the info your seeking.

so to confirm your wanting to see what systems your model has.

I will need to get the VIN #

2HGFC3B34GH351009

thank you let me look up some audio details for you.

most likely their is water or something in a connector unless the audio unit shorted,

you already replaced the amp correct.

I replaced the amp, but that was not near the head unit
Do you have a diagram of the audio system in this car?

Good morning here is the outlay of your system.

the first step I would be looking at is the optical cable and see if the unit has water in the cable.

I would blow out all the connectors at the amp.

there is a update for the audio unit that is for popping or no sound from the system, this is a dealer update only.

not sure if this will apply or not since the water damage.

Thank you for the diagram. By looking at it I think we may have an issue with the tuner as shown on page 3.
can you provide me with the details to get to that part? I can't click on the link in the diagram.

Hello you need the directions correct to remove the tuner ?

right side sorry for the mix up

OK, I should be able to get behind there this week. Thank you and stay tuned

sounds good.