Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

Cigarette lighter does not work. I cannot find any fuses for

Cigarette lighter does not work...
Cigarette lighter does not work. I cannot find any fuses for the lighter 1992 Honda Accord
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Do you know what they look like?
Customer: Yes. Under the hood and drivers side lower panel. There is no listing for the lighter.
JA: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just looked for the fuses and tested the lighter socket. No power at the socket.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just where are any fuses for the lighter......if any and which
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/20/2017
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Check the 15 amp fuse in location 22 under the hood and the 10 amp fuse in location 11 on interior fuse box. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
The under hood information panel does not list a cigarette lighter and the fuses are not numbered. All fuses appear to be good. The interior fuse box number 11 fuse is listed as the radio fuse and does not list anything about the cigarette lighter. The radio works OK.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Just advise me if there are any fuses that control the lighter. If there is no fuse with the system, then which relay of the three on the side panel above the interior fuse panel is the lighter relay? This is a 1993 Honda Accord 10th edition. I think I told you it was a 92. Sorry about that.

I'll try to find a diagram for you, give me a few minutes.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
OK

H​era are diagrams to locate correct fuses and relay. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I have viewed these diagrams earlier today. The 22.PNG diagram does not resemble my Honda. Same with the 11.PMG. The relay diagram is of some help but does not give me enough information to figure which relay is the cigarette lighter.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
There are three relays above the interior fuse panel mounted horizontally on the panel . I am guessing the small one in the middle is the cigarette lighter but am unable to know for sure. Any ideas?

Not sure, I'll open question back up to see if someone else has some different information. Thanks.

Marty
Marty, Bosch Master Tech

Hi, different expert here. My name is***** you please post your vin number for me.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
VIN number is *****

Thanks, ***** ***** I look up some information on your car.

Are you able to upload a picture of the 3 relays above the fuse box?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
That would take some time.....I can describe them if you would like.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I might be able to send you a picture via my cell phone to your phone. Would that work?

I just sent you a picture.

It is far more common for the connection at the lighter to be bad or for the terminal in the bottom of the lighter to be corroded. How did you test for power at the lighter?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Marty, that picture does not look like the relays that I am talking about. The relays I am talking about are in a horizontal row, close together above the fuse panel on the interior panel.I tested with a volt meter. Also the cigarette lighter itself does not work and my dash cam does not work when I plug it in to the lighter socket. The dash cam works OK in other vehicles.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
No corrosion in the lighter area. I have not checked the wires behind the lighter that are connected to the lighter assembly to see if there is power there but can do that but it will take a few minutes to remove the shift panel cover to get to the wires and check them.

The lighter relay is further up and back. Are you sure the two fuses are good? Did you test them for power?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
The fuse question was my first question. I cannot find any reference to any lighter fuse on my fuse panels or any other place.

It probably says "interior light" fuse on the cover under the hood.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I have a interior light fuse 15 Amp listed on the diagram. Let me check it out. One minute please. The interior lights work OK but I will check that fuse anyway.

ok

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I checked that fuse and all other 15 Amp fuses in the box. All are OK

That picture may not be accurate as to the location. I just noticed there are more fuses in that box than I thought.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I will check that fuse again. It looks OK but I will check it with a meter. That picture shows the three relays above the fuses that I was talking about.

Those aren't the relays we want. You are going to have to dig under the dash for the lighter relay. Use a voltmeter to check the fuse. Connect the black lead to ground and probe the top of the fuse with the red lead. Both sides should read 12V DC with the key on.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
You want me to do that with the 15 Amp fuse that powers the radio...that is what my diagram says that number 11 is for. The radio works OK. Hold on and I will see if the radio goes off when I pull that fuse.

Correct. If both fuses are good you either need to get to the relay or to the back of the lighter to test the voltage.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
When I pull the number 11 fuse, the radio goes off so that number fuse is OK.

Ok, so it looks like either a bad relay or a bad connection at the lighter.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I will go to the back of the lighter and see if I have 12 volts there.

ok

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Marty, it looks like I have a bad lighter socket. I have 12volts at the back of the lighter socket but nothing when I plug into the socket. I'll replace the socket and cross my fingers.

Great! I didn't think it would be the relay. They rarely fail.

Let me know if you need anything else. Please don't forget to rate my service with the stars at the top of the page in order for the website to credit me for helping you tonight.

Marty
Marty, Bosch Master Tech
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Marty, I messed around with the socket and somehow it regained continuity. Installed it and things are working for now. Thanks.
Marty
Marty
Marty, Bosch Master Tech