Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

My VSA light and Brake light came on. What is the issue? I…

Customer Question
My VSA light and...

My VSA light and Brake light came on. What is the issue?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

I had the brakes done (calipers and pads) on front and rear in June. I have not checked the brake fluid since

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

2009 accord

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not. i was just trying to look up before taking it to the dealership

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The emergency brake was also fixed when I had the brakes done

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Honda
11/20/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic

Thank you for taking time to seek expert Honda advice. I am reviewing your question and gathering information. Please standby.

The VSA and brake light will both come on if the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir is low. It will also come on if there is a VSA problem, a code reader can tell you why they are on. Most auto parts stores can read the codes for free. To see if maybe you have a P-brake issue try this: with the ignition on pull up on the P-brake handle and release it several times. If the brake light indicator intensity changes slightly the P-brake adjustment is not the problem. If there is no change at all the adjustment needs to be checked. It might not be releasing all of the way. I have also seen the master cylinder reservoir level float sing or become water logged. If this is the case the master cylinder will need to be replaced.

I suggest first checking the fluid and P-brake adjustment. Low fluid may mean a leak so be careful driving or have it towed. The P-brake adjustment can overheat the rear brakes so be careful with that too. If they both seem OK have the code(s) read. If the brake pedal feels OK and it's stopping OK you should be fine to drive it to a parts store or repair facility.

Please reply if you need more help so we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the page before exiting the site. Rating does not close out your question or cost extra. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, I will try to give you the best answer possible.

Thank you!
~Honda-Man Factory trained and ASE certified Honda-BMW tech 30+ years experience.