Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

My honda is not able to drive when i put it in any gear it…

My honda is not...

My honda is not able to drive when i put it in any gear it dosnt move the rpms rev up but it dont accelerate

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Im not sure how old the transmission is the same one has been in it since i bought the car 4 yrs ago no i dont know what a brake switch is

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

Honda civic 2008 hybrid

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

I havnt tried anything yet i barely got the car towed home

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Before it stopped completely it made an ugly putput put sound then i couldnt accelerate

11/18/2017
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

does the transmission feel like its going into gear and just not moving or you cant ever notice it going into gear?

it feels like its going in gear but dont move

check engine light on?

No

ok, since the check engine light is not on, and you can feel it catching when you put it in gear. does it seem like it is even trying to move forward? or all it does is rev up?

All it does is rev up

Have you checked the transmission fluid?

it was very low so i put a bottle in

with the engine running and if you check it now, is it at the full mark? also what color was the fluid before you added some?

the engine was running and the fluid looked like oil color

thats not good at all. it should have been reddish pink. and of course full. you have to drain all of the fluid out and have the system flushed.

Ok i do that then what

hopefully the transmission has not suffered internal damage from the fluid being black and probably never before changed.

then hope for the best. if it doesn't make a difference you are looking at a rebuild.

How much does that cost

a rebuild? standby please

to remove the transmission and reinstall it is a 7 our job. once its removed it will need opened up and taken a part and rebuilt which o will very from shop to shop. all shops labor rates are different and of course depending on the parts inside that need replaced determines the final cost of the rebuild

I would venture to say a total time of around 12 hours.

its probably cheaper to find a used transmission to just have removed and replaced.

can I help with anything else?

No thank you very much

you are very welcome. please note customer satisfaction is my number one goal and leaving a 3 stars or more rating for me will allow us to continue this dialogue until you are completely satisfied.and your vehicle is fixed. you may ask as many questions as you'd like at no extra charges. thank you have a great day

david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic