Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

2008 Honda Civic. It is very hard to get the key into the…

Customer Question
2008 Honda Civic. It...

2008 Honda Civic. It is very hard to get the key into the ignition switch. Have to fiddle with the key

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the car been stalling out?

No. 200,000 miles and runs like new

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't tried anything. Would like to fix myself if possible.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Honda
11/18/2017
Mechanic for Honda: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If you're unable to even insert the key then the issue is either with the key or lock cylinder. Check the key for physical damage and wear, try another key if you have one. If another key works correctly then the one causing the problem will need to be replaced.

If the key is ruled out then the problem is with the lock cylinder. You may be able to spray some penetrating oil directly into the lock cylinder and then run the key in and out several times to try to break the tumblers loose and this may fix it temporarily, but the permanent repair would be to replace the lock cylinder.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.