Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Intermittent buzzing on humming. typically after i have

Customer Question
Intermittent buzzing on humming...

Intermittent buzzing on humming. typically after i have turned on the heater. it starts, i turn off the heater it stops after about 10 seconds. But it has also started to make the noise even without the heat. Idling at a stop sign it has made the sound

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

No leakage. I will check the coolant level.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 Honda?

It's an 04 honda odyssey 200k miles and i love him.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Odyssey yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm researching so i don't sound like a lost soul when i take it to the garage.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Honda
11/16/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If you turn up or down the fan speed for the heater does the noise change pitch or go away at all?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Hi Pete
I’m in the van now and running the heat now at various blast levels and it isn’t making the sound at all.

O.k.,do you know if when the noise did happen if you changed the fan speed if the noise would change or go away at all?

No. I had turned off the heater after the first buzzing/humming. And it had been off for about 5 mins or longer when it did the sound again at the stop sign.
I just drove the van around for 10 mins with the heater off/ on/ and on various blasts levels and couldn’t get the van to do it again.

O.k.,even with the heater off the fan can still run in some cases to blow off any moisture on the heater core or ac evaporater as allot of vehicles were designed.Next time it does this adjust the fan speeds and if the noise changes or goes away then this is an issue with the heater fan motor itself.The bearings can start to fail and intermittently can create this noise here.I have seen this several times and had to replace it.If the noise does not change let me know here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete