Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

My 89 accord has new cv axles installed but they are popping…

Customer Question
Hi my 89 accord...

Hi my 89 accord has new cv axles installed but they are popping out after a period of driving. i expanded the clip and remounted the loose axle. do i need a new clip, or is it internal (please no!)

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Its not noise because the axle pops out 3/4 ". light spline rub, grind

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just installed both front axles a month ago. then one popped last week. shop put it back in, after expanding the clip a little, but only lasted 15 mi. and popped.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Honda
11/13/2017
Mechanic for Honda: kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech replied 8 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech

Most often this is due to a bad cv joint. The splines can be damaged and will not go all the way into the transmission. You need to replace the axle again to correct this problem.

the axle is seating all the way and i cant pull it out by hand. and its brand new

I have run into this many times. The tip of the cv joint that goes into the trans is made a little bit off. The clip will almost go all the way in but does not fully let the clip go in enough to fully lock in. I have seen this many times in the last 5 years with the new axles. Most of them are made in mexico now and the casting they use is not an oem casting. A new axle will correct this problem.

Just wanted to check in on you and see how things where going?

Thanks for the info. Ill try new clips one more time then order new axle return and switch it out.

Let me know what you find.

Ok how do I get a good price on a new one?

Oreilly's has new axles at a very good price.

Thanks#

You are very welcome.