Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

VSA light comes on at start up, during cold weather. Goes…

VSA light comes on...

VSA light comes on at start up, during cold weather. Goes out after the car is warmed up and turn off then back on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

VSA

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Honda?

2007 Accord

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet

11/4/2017
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy

have you scanned for codes yet?

No, the engine light did not illuminate.
I verified with my wife, she is the driver. Both the ABS and VCS lights illuminate at start up. Once the car is warm, she can shut it off, turn it back on and the lights do not come back on. There does not seem to be a problem with braking or traction during this time.

well the abs and traction control system have a ecu just like the engine would for trouble codes.... a scan tool would be required to pull fault codes in order to diagnose failure.. when the abs and vsc lights are on the abs system is not functional...so you only have conventional brakes....the anti lock will not work in a slip or panic stop....can you get me the codes?

I just need to do a scan correct? I think I can drive to the local auto store and use their scan tool.

yup thats the first step...some codes are point blank some are not...but codes are the first step...

51-1 Anti-lock brake system pump motor malfunction
61-1 ABS Battery voltage malfunction

that would be a failed abs pump...replacement is the fix

Not the baytery being weak?
Battery

no

here is the test chart

DTC 54: ABS Fail-safe Relay
DTC 61: Low +B-FSR Voltage

1. Check the No. 18 (20 A) fuse in the under-hood fuse/relay box. Is the fuse OK?

YES - Reinstall the fuse, and go to step 2.
NO - Replace the fuse, and recheck.

1. Clear the DTC.
  2. Test-drive the vehicle. Does the ABS indicator come on, and are DTC 54 or DTC 61 indicated?

YES - Go to step 4.
NO - intermittent failure; the vehicle is OK at this time.

1. Disconnect the ABS modulator-control unit 25P connector.
  2. Measure the voltage between the ABS modulator-control unit 25P connector terminal No. 8 and body ground.

Is there battery voltage?
YES - Check for loose terminals in the ABS modulator-control unit 25P connector. If connections are OK, replace the ABS modulator-control unit.
NO - Repair open in the wire between the No. 18 (20 A) fuse in the under-hood fuse/relay box and the ABS modulator-control unit.

DTC 51: Motor Lock
DTC 52: Motor Stuck OFF

1. Check the No. 17 (30 A) fuse in the under-hood fuse/relay box. Is the fuse OK?

YES - Reinstall the fuse, and go to stop 2.
NO - Replace the fuse, and recheck. If the fuse is blown, check for a short to body ground in this fuse circuit. If the circuit is OK, replace the ABS modulator-control unit.

2. Measure the voltage between the ABS modulator-control unit 25P connector terminal No. 9 and body ground.

Is there battery voltage?
YES - Reconnect the ABS modulator-control unit 25P connector, then go to step 4.
NO - Repair open in the wire between the No. 17 (30 A) fuse and the ABS modulator-control unit.

1. Measure the voltage between the ABS modulator-control unit 25P connector terminal No. 25 and body ground.

Is there continuity?
YES - Go to step 5.
NO - Repair open in the wire between the ABS control unit and body ground (G203).

1. Reconnect the ABS modulator-control unit 25P connector.
  2. Clear the OTC.
  3. Test-drive the vehicle at6 mph (10 km/h) or more. Does the ABS indicator come on, and are DTC 51 or DTC 52 indicated?

NO - The system is OK at this time.

Ok, replacing this myself looks fairly simple. I assume a brake bleed is needed. Does this part require programming of the ECU or the ABS module?

correct the brakes need to be bled when done

1. Bleed the brake system, starting with the front wheels.
  2. Start the engine, and check that the ABS indicator goes off.
  3. Test-drive the vehicle, check the ABS operation, and check that the ABS indicator does not come on.
  4. If the brake pedal is now spongy, there may be air trapped in the modulator and then induced into the normal brake system during modulation. Exercise the ABS then bleed the brake system again, starting with the front wheels.
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Ok. The job I hate. Thank you for the clarification of the problem.