Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

2007 Honda civic shuts off engine while driving. I found a…

2007 Honda civic shuts...

2007 Honda civic shuts off engine while driving. I found a TSB on it which could be the problem. HSN-1305. could be that or something else. I think the TSB is the ignition switch but not sure.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the car been stalling out?

Yes, shuts off while driving

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

I will fix it. Haven't tried anything yet. It starts right back up. No sputtering when it dies.

10/23/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

No, this would not apply to your situation.

Engine Shuts Off, but Power Mode Stays in ON or ACCESSORY

Currently Applies To:
All models with one-push start

When you shift into Park and shut off the engine, does the power mode stay in ON or ACCESSORY? The culprit could be a misadjusted shift cable. If it's not adjusted right, it puts pressure on the shift lever, keeping the park pin switch from opening. The power control unit needs the park pin switch position input to switch the power mode to VEHICLE OFF (LOCK). To find and fix this problem, hook up the HDS, and go to the ONE-PUSH START/PCU Data List. Scroll down to AT SHIFT POSITION P and AT SHIFT POSITION P-PIN.

So as you read, this only pertains to turning the engine off and the power staying in On or Accessory position, not about the engine shutting off on its own while driving.

The most common cause of the engine shutting off while driving but restarting immediately is an intermittent fault in the crankshaft position sensor

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Okay. That makes sense. Is the Crank sensor easy to get to on this vehicle?

Yes, it is fairly easy. remove the splashshield underneath front of engine compartment to access it - see directions

After replacing it, you have to do the following relearn procedure

1. Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (in Park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on.
2. Test-drive the vehicle on a level road: Decelerate (with the throttle fully closed) from an engine speed of 2,500 rpm down to 1,000 rpm with the A/T in 2 position, or M/T in 1st gear.
3. Test-drive the vehicle on a level road: Decelerate (with the throttle fully closed) from an engine speed of 5,000 rpm down to 3,000 rpm with the A/T in 2 position, or M/T in 1st gear.
4. Repeat step 2 and 3 several times.
5. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
6. Turn the ignition switch ON (II), and wait for 30 seconds.

Another question. There were no fault codes. Could the Crank Sensor cause the engine to shut off without creating a fault code? (Good info on replacing it btw)

HI,

Yes, it is common for an intermittent fault in the crank sensor to not trip a code as the engine shutting off resets it as soon as you turn the key off and back on to recrank it. About 1/2 the time I encounter this, there are no stored fault codes

I am going over to my daughters to replace this. Can I take some hand tools, hydraulic jack/stand or ramps and accomplish this curbside? If so what tools should I take?

Having it on ramps will make it a bit easier as you will be working underneath the vehicle.

The splashshield is held on by a combination or pushpin retainers and bolts. You will need pliers to pull out the pushpin retainers and 8mm and 10mm socket for the bolts. The crank sensor bolt is either a 12mm or 13mm if memory serves.

So, car ramps, metric socket set and ratchet, and pair of pliers

Okay thanks. Heading to Autozone, then to the car....

you are welcome

Daughter called again this morning. The car died again with the new crank sensor. How do I troubleshoot this problem?

HI,

Hmmm, ok, do you happen to have a scan tool with live data feed on it? If so, test drive until the engine quits while monitoring the live data to see what signal first cuts out - TP sensor, cam sensor, crank sensor, vtec solenoid or actuator, coil, fuel pump, or ECM

If not, try to find out from your daughter as much information as possible - was engine cold or warmed up(driven less or more than 10 minutes), at what speed, any fluctuation in tachometer or speedometer right before it cut off, any hesitation, misfire, surging before it cut off, etc.

She says it is just like she turned off the key. No hesitation. She has had it shut off while moving and I think once while sitting still.

Just to be sure, you did do the relearn procedure after replacing the crank sensor, correct?

I did the relearn. I couldn't do it in the exact sequence due to traffic, but I did cover everything.

HI,

Ok, let me pull some schematics and go over them and post back in about 20-30 minutes

I do have a scanner that can view live data. But you page through them 4 items at a time. I am not sure if the cam sensor is viewable. Would it have a value to show?
Trying to think of problems that would actually cause an immediate stall.

HI,

It should have a 4 to 5v reading showing. Also, if yours shows short term and long term fuel trims, those readings would be helpful.

Take it for a drive and get a freeze frame of readings when it dies and post them here for me. Some scan tools will capture all the data at moment it cuts off before all the readings change to zero.

Ok. It does all of those things. I believe the last time I looked at it both short and long fuel trims were the same which did seem odd to me. I may be wrong, but I think they were both at positive or negative 3.

HI,

Ok, do the test drive and record all that including all the fuel trims, and also the APP (accelerator pedal position) sensor reading.

And when it does cut off, restart and pull over somewhere and check the ETCS relay and the PCM to see if they feel unusually hot to the touch -see attached for locations

Ok. This may take me a day or two because I have to go out of town. If you think of something post it I will check here again before working on it.

Sounds good and will do

The daughter took it to a dealer today. They could not get it to stall but said it needed a mass airflow sensor. (I wouldn't think that would make it stall) ...anyway what do you think about that and if I do put one in, does it require any programming?

HI,

It doesnt happen often at all, but a MAF sensor can cause it to stall out. It determines air volume into the throttle body and if the signal is faulty, it can allow either too much air or no air into the throttle body which would stall it.

It is a plug and play part

Are the butterflies not cable actuated on the throttlebody?

HI,

No, this is a fly by wire. it has an electronic throttle body operated by signal from the accelerator pedal position sensor

Sort of good news. It now has a fault code. I had her plug the scanner back into it since I left it in the car. She did and found an IAT fault. I will replace that Saturday morning and see what happens. Thanks again for your input. I will get back to you. Because the dealer said MAF , I will keep an eye on that. What should it's readings be?
Isn't that something! LOL

very possible that the code was pending when it was at the dealer and hadnt set as a hard code yet