Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

We have a 2004 Honda Accord 4 Cyl with auto trans. We have

We have a 2004 Honda...
We have a 2004 Honda Accord 4 Cyl with auto trans. We have had it for a couple years. When the ambient temp is below about 35 degrees, it will not start. It will crank and crank just fine but will not start. Once it warms up outside to 40ish degrees, starts fine and away we go.
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: Took it to the local Honda dealer and they first thought it was the ECM located under the dash behind the radio. They replaced and reprogramed a reman unit, but it did not fix the issue. After many, many days at the dealership they concluded it was either the dash wiring harness or the harness between the dash harness and the module. I find it hard to believe that the cold weather would affect the wiring harnesses.
JA: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have not checked the fuel supply. Just figured that since it runs perfectly when temp is above 40, that the fuel pump and relay is fine.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am not doing the work myself. Not that mechanical. I have had it at multiple independent garages in the area as well as the Honda Dealership. The independents had no idea and the dealer wants to charge me about $1600 + for a guess at the dash wiring. Or another $1000 + for the jumper harness between the dash harness and the ECM.
10/20/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

so the dealer should be able to 100% correctly diagnose the issue and not guess, if they fail to diagnose it and correct it with a part you dont have to pay. Also all dealers are not the same you may have to take it to a different dealer and request a master tech to specifically work on the vehicle

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that's your answer? Just take it to another dealer or back to the same one and have them throw parts at it?
I was really hoping to get at least a suggestion as to what you think it might be. I know you don't have the car there to diagnose yourself, but what do you think it could be? Could a wiring harness really not allow it to start below certain ambient temperatures? Is it at all possible the fuel pump relay could be the issue? Thanks.

with a temperature issue something electrical with moisture in it is not working correctly, it really could be 100 things, so yes it could be a relay, more than likely its not a harness but more of a connector issue, and yes I would recommend to take it to a different dealer with a more qualified tech, and if they want to "throw" parts at it I would request a full refund as you are paying for a diagnostics and not a guess. The money you have spent already should also be refunded, if not you can get it back in court easily, the terms are listed in the document agreement you signed for them to work on the vehicle

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The dealer did refund my money on the ECM replacement and labor and did not charge me for the 2nd diagnosis since they could not tell me for sure which harness it was, dash or ECM harness. We do have another dealership about 30 miles away. I will see about getting it in there soon. Thanks for your help. I appreciate your time and patience. Have a good weekend.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Shawn.

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician