Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Have a lady brought me an 2001 Honda Odessy said it just…

Have a lady brought me...
Have a lady brought me an 2001 Honda Odessy said it just knocked off on her and won't crank now . I'm thinking it jumped timing . Is this an interference engine ? It's the 3.5 vtech
10/19/2017
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech

No this engine is not an interference engine.

I should be good with timing belt and Water pump ?

I would also replace the tentioner pulley as well as the idler, just to make sure you have no trouble. Oreilly's has a timing belt kit that comes with everything you need and it is made by Gates.

kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech
Thanks

You are very welcome.

Let me ask you something , I'm thinking the belt broke or jumped timing . I can check that before I start right ? Because if the timing marks are on then it must be something else

That is correct.

When I rotate the crank neither of the cam sprockets are moving with it

The the timing belt has broken, or the teeth have stripped of. The timing belt will need to be replaced.

Thanks . Another guy also told me this engine was an interference

Not this year. The valves should not hit the pistons on this engine.

I agree but he gave me some link that said they all are
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k268pp8ahdw6rvb/Interfereence%20Oct%2019.pdf?dl=0

I am so sorry. When I looked up the information the other night I some how looked up a passport with the 3.2. The 3.2 is a non interference engine. The 3.5 IS an interference engine.

Dang thanks ok . So you think it's going to need valve work as well

More then likely. Pull the valve cover off and check your valve lash. If the valve lash is good, then the valves are not bent. If the valve lash is to big, then the valves are.

Ok will get back with you

Ok

I put the timing belt on and checked compression . All 6 cylinders have zero compression

Did you check the valve lash?