Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have a 2017 Honda Pilot. I connected my Iphone to the

Customer Question
Bluetooth in the car. when...
I have a 2017 Honda Pilot. I connected my Iphone to the Bluetooth in the car. when I make a phone call from my iphone, the car bluetooth puts the call into Private mode. I have to click Transfer to get connected back to the Bluetooth.Do you know why?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Honda
I have reset my phone, unpaired and re-paired the iphone with the car bluetooth system. still not working.
10/19/2017
Mechanic for Honda: Eric Gardner, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Eric Gardner
Eric Gardner, ASE Certified Technician

I have a hunch, please let me know if I am right?

When you answer your phone do you answer by the taping the vehicles screen or by tapping on your phone. If you tap on your phone instead of on the vehicles screen then private mode would be activated. When you receive a call, tap on the vehicles screen to answer and let me know if this works.

It is not about receiving the call. It is about placing a call from my iphone.
Did you get my question?

I understand now. Give me just a few more minutes.

Have you been able to place a call from your IPhone in the past or is this something that has never worked?

This has never worked

Have you tried initializing the IPhone to your Pilot with your apple USB charging cord? If you haven't I can send you instructions on how to do this.

Instead of typing out these instructions, it would be easier for me to send you the Honda How to Link.

http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2017/Pilot/features/apple-carplay

Please let me know if this has helped in anyway.

I did do that and CarPlay works. But I still get private when making a call from my iphone

So the system is working just fine then. Any time you place a call using your IPhone and not using the screen to dial or lookup the contact to call, then apple car play will place the phone into private mode.

Fortunately this is how the system was designed to work, but unfortunately, it's not the desired outcome for your wants. The system was designed this way to keep prying ears out of your conversation. Also, this "car play" wants you keep your hands on the steering wheel, to keep you from manipulating your phone while driving to keep everyone safe.

To be honest, I would like to dial off of my Iphone as well and have the calls go through the speakers, but the engineers for apple car play did not set up the app to work this way.

If I have been any help please rate my service as three stars or higher found at the top of your screen.

why does it work with 2013 Honda Accord. No private mode. Is this new in 2017?

This is a new feature, and was forced by the NHSTA to "keep drivers from manipulating their cell phones while driving, keeping the drivers, passengers and others on the road safe from distracted driving incidents."

Here is an excerpt from the Apple Play sales pamphlet.

Phone: Access your contacts, make phone calls, or listen to voicemail. While
connected to Apple CarPlay, calls can be made only through Apple CarPlay, not
through Bluetooth HandsFreeLink.

Has this been any help to you?

Do you need anymore help? Have I been of any help?

Thanks,