Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

I have a 2006 Honda accord that won't start. The battery,

starter and ignition switch are...
I have a 2006 Honda accord that won't start. The battery, starter and ignition switch are all new. The car starts sometimes then other times when you turn the key all electrical turns on but the car does not crank and there are no sounds (other than the engine fan turning on) but no clicking or anything else. All the new components have been checked and are working.
Got My ideas?
10/18/2017
Carguy1
Carguy1, certified tech

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Is the car automatic or manual?

Thanks - It's an Automatic

It sounds like a problem with the neutral safety switch on the transmission. If it's not making contact when the car won't start, you won't hear a peep from the starter or the starter relay. This can either be an adjustment issue or the switch itself is failing. If you try wiggling the shifter when it won't start, it might make contact and start. I thing I would replace it because it seems to be warning you, eventually it might not start at all.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Thanks for your answer and that sounds very plausible. I'm curious. If I had not replaced the ignition switch ND it was defective, would it have the same symptoms? If so how can you determine which is at fault? Thanks

The only way you would be able to tell if the ignition switch were the problem would be the test the wiring off the switch. Basically the neutral switch is the only thing between the ignition and the starter relay. If the car doesn't know it's in park or neutral, the engine won't crank.

So, you would have to check the switch in the start position to see if power is coming out of the switch.

Carguy1
Carguy1, certified tech
Got it - thank you!

You are very welcome and thank you for the rating!