Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

98 Honda accord I repaired 2 lines to the rear and bled the

98 Honda accord I repaired 2...
98 Honda accord
I repaired 2 lines to the rear and bled the brakes far to near. Daughter was driving it and the front brakes locked up. They are really hot and brake pedal is hard. Before they locked up the pedal almost went to the floor. While I was bleeding them, hardly any fluid came out of the bleeders. I opened and closed about a dozen times while keeping reservoir filled. Im stumped and have not pulled the front wheels yet. Any ideas?
10/16/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, does it have ABS brakes?

Are the wheels still locked up right now and are you at the vehicle?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im inside my phone is charging. I have abs but not sure if sensors are working
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think as the wheels cool tgey release some... enough to move it a few blocks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can go out and see if the wheels are released

HI,

Ok, you will want to drive it till the fronts lock up then do the following

Open the bleeders at the front calipers for about 30 seconds, close and drive a few feet to see if the brakes have released. If they have, then replace calipers and front hoses.

If not, loosen the lines at the master cylinder for a few seconds and then close. drive a few feet to see if the brakes have released If they have replace the master cylinder

If not, remove the vacuum hose from the booster for a few seconds and reconnect. If brakes have released, replace booster

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK does it matter if I try the booster hose first since that's the easiest to do?

HI,

No, you can do them in any order. I am just one that always started at the wheels and worked back, but order doesnt make a difference in the testing outcome or skew the result

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK Ill start checkin and let ya know

ok, sounds good and I am here all day

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I pulled the hose at the throttle body that connected to the booster with car running and idle went up significantly. Up and down. Kept it off for about 30 seconds then put it back on. Checked rolling... still locked up. Then I loosened both lines at mc and left open about a minute, then tightened them and checked rolling. This time rolled mostly free. Still a little resistance. Could be that they cooled down enough to allow the calipers to release too.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could the mc been damaged when air got in it befor repairing the two rear lines?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just a question here... since both calipers or both sides lignite are really hot from locking up isn't it doubtful both calipers would be bad at the same time but maybe the mc causing both to lock and not return back?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lugnuts not "ignite" (phone)

HI,

Ok, the master cylinder is definitely bad. Now the calipers and hoses may also need to be replaced due to them locking up and boiling the fluid inside the caliper and hose.

So, replace the master cylinder, making sure to bench bleed first. Install it and if little fluid comes from the front calipers when bleeding, replace the caliper and hoses. If it bleeds good, then you are good to go

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I bled my brakes, each wheel gave very little air and fluid. It seemed the fluid just dribbled and pedal never really dropped to floor when bleeders were opened.

HI,

That is another sign it is the master cylinder

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did the same for front and back...
OK Ill switch the mc and check the calipers before doing so. Check for free travel. Are you saying I should definitely replace the calipers and hoses as well or will checking for free travel on calipers let me know?

Replace the master cylinder and bleed it. Then try bleeding the front calipers. If little to no fluid after replacing the master cylinder, then the hoses and caliper seals have swollen from them overheating and need to be replaced. If they have good fluid flow after replacing the master cylinder, then no damage to them and they are good.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK thanks... Ill go ahead and do that. Waiting on part. Ill let you know in a couple hours

Ok, sounds good

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry late back. Got the new brake mc benchbled and installed. My drivers side caliper side brake pad (6 mos old) cracked from the pad back plate bending at the top. Never seen that before. I ordered two calipers, brackets, hoses, and new pads to replace it all. Hopefully that takes care of it. Im also going to flush my front lines out.

HI,

Cannot say I have seen that either. That is some extreme pressure built up to bend one. You are definitely taking the right approach on replacing it all given the circumstances as I have no doubt that the fluid got hot enough to boil the inside of the hoses and caliper seals

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required ratingPlease remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank youPlease note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well I got it all done. Bled out good and back in action. I appreciate you help! I will rate the highest rating.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager